What's new

Anyone here prefer the SP3 type cover over the SP4 cover?

kiwigirl

What I dont get is why MS decided to have the keys on the SP4 cover have more travel? It has noticably more travel and the keys on the SP3 feel very stiff in comparison.

The Sp3 keys are so light, it takes barely any effort to type on them. But when you type on SP4 type cover, the keys feel noticably stiffer.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I like having both covers. Sometimes I travel with both. But I do usually prefer the SP4 Type Cover.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The width of the SP4 keyboard is the same width, excluding the number pad and extra keys, as the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000. Now, if they could just make a number pad that magnetically attached to the right side and/or perhaps folded underneath. :)

OP
K

kiwigirl

Yes the new one is the same width but the travel distance the keys have is much longer and higher. Its still comfy though but I question the pricing on it. This should be a $50 keyboard at most, or free with the trade in of the SP3 cover from SP3 owners.

$170CDN is flat out fraud. THey might as well just sell me an empty box.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes the new one is the same width
The Cover overall is the same width as before but the keyboard is 27.5 cm wide on the new SP4 Cover and only 26 cm wide on the SP3 Cover.

Stated another way, the SP4 keyboard *is* the same *size* as a standard keyboard.

To me it's a huge deal that the keyboard is not a compressed, cut down in size, keyboard.

glx

I preordered the SP4-Type-Cover on Amazon. The SP3-Cover feels very good, but sometimes I can't exactly recognise, where a key ends and the next one begins. The SP4 looks like it does that better, so I'll try that :)..

zhenya

Yes the new one is the same width but the travel distance the keys have is much longer and higher. Its still comfy though but I question the pricing on it. This should be a $50 keyboard at most, or free with the trade in of the SP3 cover from SP3 owners.

$170CDN is flat out fraud. THey might as well just sell me an empty box.

Go buy a $50 keyboard. They are garbage. Even when they are mass-produced, desktop sized ones which are the cheapest keyboards you can buy. For $50 you generally get a rubber dome keyboard with no backlighting. The Type Cover 4 is expensive because it has excellent keys with excellent backlighting, an expensive glass trackpad, all in a form-factor not much thicker than a magnetic cover would be that did nothing other than cover the screen for $50.

If you want cheap tablets and cheap accessories, please, the market is FLOODED with them. Go buy them. What's hard to find is stuff that is actually built as good as possible rather than as cheap as possible.

johnj2803

my problem with the sp3 keyboard was that the keys were too close together, making me press the adjacent key for a typo at times. The new one has a space between the keys. I like the way it feels when i press the keys.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Go buy a $50 keyboard. They are garbage. Even when they are mass-produced, desktop sized ones which are the cheapest keyboards you can buy. For $50 you generally get a rubber dome keyboard with no backlighting. The Type Cover 4 is expensive because it has excellent keys with excellent backlighting, an expensive glass trackpad, all in a form-factor not much thicker than a magnetic cover would be that did nothing other than cover the screen for $50.

If you want cheap tablets and cheap accessories, please, the market is FLOODED with them. Go buy them. What's hard to find is stuff that is actually built as good as possible rather than as cheap as possible.

You make it sound like the type cover is some high end sophisticated device, give me a break. Its a bunch of plastic keys with cheap fabric on the outside and a glass trackpad. It costs no more than $6 to make it. Still doesnt justify the price. There is nothing special about the cover. Its thin, woohoo. Nothing new, big deal.