What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0b123

I really like the Aero glass effect. Also came across a tip for the Dark Theme which I've only seen applied on the Settings page...

1. Open Regedit
2. Create New DWORD value SystemUsesLightTheme, then under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize
3. Set value to 0, then reboot
4. To revert to Light Theme, set to 1 and reboot.

Screenshot (42).png

Attachments

• Dark Color Theme.PNG
    Dark Color Theme.PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 413

bluegrass

Maybe you could show some screen shots of light versus dark. I changed mine to dark and don't see any difference when looking at the start screen or the desktop screen. I didn't see the "SpecialUsesLightTheme" listed in the registry. Oops. I forgot to create the new Dword. Do I need to change to the new Special Theme or should the theme that I've been using change? I just went thought Personalization to Themes and didn't see the new Special them in the list anywhere.

bluegrass

Settings > Personalization > Colors > Automatically pick a color from my background

Settings > Personalization > Colors > Show color on taskbar and Start menu

Settings > Personalization > Colors > Make Start menu transparent.

I imagine this only works for the 50% that got the transparency. I think you still would need to do the registry edit that Colorado posted above.

razy60

The regedit that sharpcolorado posted was already preset in the update t0 10074 on mine, not sure why as i have never touched that before.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft's Gabe Aul has said there’s a 50 percent chance that your Start menu of Build 10074 will include the Aero Glass transparency, giving it the appearance of “frosted glass.” .

Welcome to the 50% (all of us).

r0b123

Maybe you could show some screen shots of light versus dark. I changed mine to dark and don't see any difference when looking at the start screen or the desktop screen. I didn't see the "SpecialUsesLightTheme" listed in the registry. Oops. I forgot to create the new Dword. Do I need to change to the new Special Theme or should the theme that I've been using change? I just went thought Personalization to Themes and didn't see the new Special them in the list anywhere.

I went thru a few apps and other than Settings and Calculator, the Dark Theme regedit does not seem to affect other apps or areas like Start menu. It is great that it complements the Notifications bar and especially nice since most of the W10 themes are light color and having the dark setting resembles Windows Phone and saves your eyes. Below are screenshots.

Light
Screenshot (53).png

Dark
Screenshot (54).png

Status
Not open for further replies.