What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ When MS took a few months off from releasing new and improved versions, I assumed they would be hard at work creating something like we've discussed here. In reality they've spent the last 90 days figuring out how to make the Start Menu transparent and changing the All Apps icon.

^^ When MS took a few months off from releasing new and improved versions, I assumed they would be hard at work creating something like we've discussed here. In reality they've spent the last 90 days figuring out how to make the Start Menu transparent and changing the All Apps icon.

They also, among others, finished the beta version of Spartan and implemented Windows Hello...

Since the Xbox one had the sign-in via facial recognition with Kinect, it made sense to have this in for Win10 especially for the SP3.

They also, among others, finished the beta version of Spartan and implemented Windows Hello...

So MS is focusing their energies on something I have no use for and will rarely use as opposed to something I use 100 times a day? Yup, sounds like MS.

If I were MS instead of working on bells and whistles, I'd make sure the wheels don't fall off the bike.

Well, at the end of the line (i.e. when the final Win10 will be out) all these little useless things to you might be indeed very useful, particularly when it comes to the portability of 1 platform on many different devices.

I give them the benefit of the doubt, and all the time they need to fix what they have to fix. It's their job, not mine, to create a good OS.

I clearly understand your frustration, but so far my experience with Win10 has been a triumph. I use it everyday at work & at home. Rock solid. The only thing that bothers me is that for some reason the System Hardware Update 2015-01-27 keeps re-installing itself every other day. Otherwise, it is as good, if not better, than Win8.1.

Windows is like a beautiful woman with a big nose. That big nose is the Start Menu. Until they fix that it's all anyone will see.

P.S., Why do you give MS the benefit of the doubt? They created Windows 8, Windows RT and The Zune. :)

Here's another suggestion for the Start Menu. When you click a tile have the tiles fold away like they do on Windows Mobile. Always thought that was a cool animation.

Here's the Start Menu problem I'm having. As you can see, left column is blank:

11vnot5.png

Last edited:
... Here's the Start Menu problem I'm having. As you can see, left column is blank:

The left portion is for the tabular menu (Places, Most used, Recently added, All apps...). You've already mentioned that those items are giving you trouble on your 10036 (are you using a leaked release?).

The left portion is for the tabular menu (Places, Most used, Recently added, All apps...). You've already mentioned that those items are giving you trouble on your 10036 (are you using a leaked release?).

Yes, I'm using a leaked(on) release as I stated previously. While that may be the problem, my guess is the Start Menu will still be buggy with the official release - we'll see.

Nevertheless, I figured out how to fix it:
1) Create a new Admin Account.
2) Delete the Default Admin Account (save files, etc.)
3) Restart under the new Admin account and recreate your Default Admin Account.
4) Restart and Start Menu is fixed.

Sigh, should have known it was too good to be true. While Most Used and Recently Added apps still appear in the Start Menu, All Apps is now blank.

Just hoping this mega-bugginess is due to the leak build.

The weird part is that these things all just seem to be happening randomly. I'm not updating or changing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back