What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
PREPPING FOR NEW BUILD
I freshened my SP3 Marvell AVASTAR Wireless Network Adapter today.

I get good performance from the adapter, but sometimes it doesn't recognize all the WiFi networks around me right away.
I deliberately uninstalled the driver, then let Windows 10 re-discover it.

The idea is that perhaps the series of Windows 10 Builds have not made the driver installation as clean as possible, so I wanted to clear things up before the next Build.

After doing the following, WiFi detection and performance is much improved. I tried restarting and rebooting, going outside, and visiting a public café connection to test. All show better performance. I had to re-enter my wireless passwords, but it was worth it.

1- Right-click on the WiFi indicator in the Notification area, and choose "Open Network and Sharing Center".
2- Click "Change adapter settings"
3- Right-click on WiFi, Properties, Configure
4- Click Driver tab, Uninstall, OK. (Do not delete driver files from your computer.)
5- Close all windows.

My adapter was immediately re-detected, and the driver installation freshened. I chose my WiFi network, entered the password, and zoom.

Your results may vary. :rolleyes:

Click 'Configure', Driver, Uninstall, OK.
Screenshot (319).png

So far, other than the initial glitches with the Start Button failing, the top of the screen being very slightly cut off and the People, Mail, etc app not working, this seems like a solid build. The fan issues I had on initial flash over 8.1 went away when I went clean install.

The Start Menu is transparent (probably not enough when minimized and too much when maximized but the taskbar and titlebars are not (wish they were). Lol, I guess MS doesn't want to make this TOO much like W7 because then we'd all realize this is really just W7 2015 (which actually is fine with me).

So far, other than the initial glitches with the Start Button failing, the top of the screen being very slightly cut off and the People, Mail, etc app not working, this seems like a solid build. The fan issues I had on initial flash over 8.1 went away when I went clean install.

The Start Menu is transparent (probably not enough when minimized and too much when maximized but the taskbar and titlebars are not (wish they were). Lol, I guess MS doesn't want to make this TOO much like W7 because then we'd all realize this is really just W7 2015 (which actually is fine with me).

I dialed down to 'slow' on preview builds as this is my production machine and I can't have any hiccups. Still keep my 8.1 image, but burning the time to go back would be a hassle.

More weirdness. Although the Start Button still functions, Latest Apps and All Apps no longer shows anything. Completely bizarre as I have not done any updates or anything. It just stopped working.

Not to harsh MS's buzz but c'mon guys, you've been playing with this thing for months now between builds and THIS is all you've got? You can't even make the damned Start Button work right? Honestly, after playing with this for a while one really has to wonder WHAT they've been working on.

Hopefully official build (if they ever release it) will fIx this. Until them I'm back to my Stardock Start8 Start Button (which works AWESOME).

BTW - I highly recommend those of you who want to live on the Wild Side, sign up for the Public Beta for Office 2016. This latest build is written in XAML and Scale very well and it appears to be much more stable than the January Update I've been using in the closed beta.

BTW - I highly recommend those of you who want to live on the Wild Side, sign up for the Public Beta for Office 2016. This latest build is written in XAML and Scale very well and it appears to be much more stable than the January Update I've been using in the closed beta.

Thought that was just for Mac?

More weirdness. Although the Start Button still functions, Latest Apps and All Apps no longer shows anything. Completely bizarre as I have not done any updates or anything. It just stopped working.

Not to harsh MS's buzz but c'mon guys, you've been playing with this thing for months now between builds and THIS is all you've got? You can't even make the damned Start Button work right? Honestly, after playing with this for a while one really has to wonder WHAT they've been working on.

Hopefully official build (if they ever release it) will fIx this. Until them I'm back to my Stardock Start8 Start Button (which works AWESOME).
happened the same to me after I changed the screen density. I restored it and rebooted and my all apps menu was here again.

Mmmm perhaps because they consider Microsoft to be a money hungry / greedy company?

Like when people complain their Surface tablet won't Mirror to their Sony / Samsung UHD TV's even though I < can > get the Surface screen to Mirror to the tv but then the signal is cut off and Microsoft's answer -- instead of assigning people to work with Sony / Samsung and find out why it doesn't work -- is to tell you to buy their adapter.

It almost makes one think that Mirroring doesn't work ON PURPOSE in order to force people to buy adapters that need to do this.

And, in some ways, I would agree with that.

However, Microsoft used to charge for the Operating System and now they will be giving it away.

So a totally money hungry outfit would not do that.

Especially since over 90% of the Worlds computers run on Windows operating system. Why turn down the profits from selling the operating system like they always did?

It's almost like the Microsoft left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing.

Oddly, Microsoft is a publically traded company, and like any corporation its primary (some would say only) purpose for existing is to make a profit and pay its owners. If you own Microsoft stock, you are an owner. If your retirement fund owns Microsoft stock, they are an owner for your benefit. Right or wrong, it's what capitalism is all about.

I have no objection to Microsoft wanting to make money. I object when they, or any other corporation, abuses its employees and customers in the name of profit. MS is not perfect, but I think they're better than many others (*cough*Comcast*cough*). I certainly don't think they're as arrogant as they used to be. They create good products at reasonable prices. If someone doesn't like them, why are they here? Apple makes great products as well, and Linux is a decent alternative, as is Google. It's not like there aren't any alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back