What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly, Microsoft is a publically traded company, and like any corporation its primary (some would say only) purpose for existing is to make a profit and pay its owners. If you own Microsoft stock, you are an owner. If your retirement fund owns Microsoft stock, they are an owner for your benefit. Right or wrong, it's what capitalism is all about.

I have no objection to Microsoft wanting to make money. I object when they, or any other corporation, abuses its employees and customers in the name of profit. MS is not perfect, but I think they're better than many others (*cough*Comcast*cough*). I certainly don't think they're as arrogant as they used to be. They create good products at reasonable prices. If someone doesn't like them, why are they here? Apple makes great products as well, and Linux is a decent alternative, as is Google. It's not like there aren't any alternatives.

Ah, but it's so much easier and funner to pound on this or that vendor in self-righteous indignation...

I hope the next build tones down the Annoytification area.

Screenshot (320).png

Screenshot (321).png

I have moved back to windows 8.1 pro version. It was bloody nightmare since I had removed my recovery partition and also deleted all restore points after upgrading to windows 10 preview through disk cleanup.

anyways the bloody recovery windows 8.1 pro usb did not work at boot and also I was not able to revert back using this as a recovery option.

The only way out was to get a windows 8.1 pro .iso file mount it and then copy it on a usb. Start surface with recovery options and then goto command prompt and run setup.exe file and install a fresh copy of windows 8.1 pro.

Luckily my product key embedded in BIOS settings worked and activated windows 8.1 pro after fresh install.

I had to bloody get my wirless driver to have my wifi started and after that my surface pro 3 spent the entire night downloading various bunch of updates.

Finally I am back and now I am not going install windows 10 preview. Will only upgrade once windows 10 pro if officially released.

I never realized how underutilized the word bloody is in this forum. :)

Yes, annoytifications appear far less repetitive in the new build. However, the annoytifistartmenu is still in full fustercluck. After having months to work on this I just have to wonder what is so damned hard about getting the Start Menu right?

Last edited:
Windows 10 should not post any Notifications: "Do you want to enter Tablet mode?". That is worse than "Are we there, yet?".

Others:
- "Did you mean to press the Start button just now?" "How about now?" "Now?"
- "Did you want to rotate the screen?"
- "Your Caps lock is now on." "Now off." "Now on." "Off."
- "Are you sure you want to shut Windows down? Will I dream?"
- "Did you mean to listen to that Barry Manilow track?"

Okay, That one is useful.

o_O

I'm still waiting for this one:

"Would you like your Start Menu to actually work in anything approaching a reliable, intuitive manner?"

The sad part in all this is that the boffins at Stardock probably already have a gorgeous, reliable and highly functional Windows 10 Start Menu ready to go.

Here's an idea for the Start Menu:
Provide the user with various templates that will automatically create tile groups of applications based upon various category criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back