What's new

Walked Into MS Wanting to Love the Surface Pro 3, but Didn't, What Am I Missing?

OP
C

Capt Crunch

You never did mention what SP3 model you purchased?

The SP3 was not intended to replace a Laptop Workstation.

I got the 128 GB/4GB version. I know it wasn't intended to replace a workstation. I was hoping it would perform better than it did, which could be mitigated by getting one with higher specs, but the value prop isn't as good for me for the more powerful ones.

The Metro version of OneNote was meant for those who did not purchase Microsoft Office (which includes the desktop version of Note); and for those wishing to stay in the Metro environment. They of course must be synced if you use both.

Sure, but since they are both on the same computer, it's annoying that the have to sync through the cloud. I know that I can open OneNote 2013 with the pen, but I like the metro interface.

Since you mentioned OneNote 2013, I assume you purchased a Microsoft Office 2013. I am curious to know in what capacity other than UI, you found Microsoft Office for Apple was superior to Microsoft Office 2013 (desktop version only at the present time)

Admittedly, it's completely aesthetic. I prefer the metro interface. The ribbon is a little more paired down on the iPad version making it easier to select options.

You only had the unit for 12 days before you decided to return it even though you had a full 30 days to fully evaluate it. Perhaps you could have used the extra time here at the forum for some suggestions/solutions to the problems you were having.

I realized that what I really wanted was a tablet. I'm not paying $1200 for a tablet.

olimjj

I got the 128 GB/4GB version. I know it wasn't intended to replace a workstation. I was hoping it would perform better than it did, which could be mitigated by getting one with higher specs, but the value prop isn't as good for me for the more powerful ones.

Ok the i5 model. Surprised you did not find it powerful enough for design intended applications.

Sure, but since they are both on the same computer, it's annoying that the have to sync through the cloud. I know that I can open OneNote 2013 with the pen, but I like the metro interface.

Not ideal, but you could have used the metro version exclusively

Admittedly, it's completely aesthetic. I prefer the metro interface. The ribbon is a little more paired down on the iPad version making it easier to select options.

The ribbon in office 2013 is configurable

Last edited:

InspectHerGadget

I realized that what I really wanted was a tablet. I'm not paying $1200 for a tablet.

I found the i7 performance to be outstanding and a surprise to me after an i5 SP2. You would then have a $1800 tablet though!

Let's face it, you like your Apple products and the SP2/SP3 aren't great tablets so be happy with a MacBook and iPad Air.

The quest for an all conquering perfect device and one that is cheap continues unabated...

JayPS

I've been working through the paces with mine. Enjoy it so far and hope to provide a review soon.

Telstar1948

Truly, each to their own...I left Apple primarily because the iPad just didn't provide what I wanted - no file system, USB port, and not having parity between iOS and OSX software. I like OSX and Apple hardware, and really the iPad in general, but I wanted either a desktop with a tablet that both offered the same OS along with full file management, USB etc., or I wanted (preferred) one device for my desktop and tablet needs. I feel I've found that one device in the SP3. It's doing everything I've wanted with a full desktop setup and as a mobile device with the Type Cover 3. As a companion device I really like my Nokia phone. So, two devices to keep up with, but one's a phone so not a lot of time spent there. This, I think, for me is good...a good computer that travels with me and a good phone.

mitchellvii

Few of the things to keep in mind when looking at a SP3 in a big store:

1) The fluorescent lighting is usually terrible and makes everything look washed out.
2) The SP3 is a slim, streamlined hybrid. As such, it can look a little small and flimsy in a big store. What you will find is that once you have it in your office it will seem far more substantial.
3) You really need to flash the Intel graphics drivers with the Control Panel enabled to enjoy the true depth of colors and blacks on the SP3. Crank Gamma down to .5 and you'll be amazed.