What's new

Want to love my SP3, but Windows makes it oh-so-hard...

ChrisPanzer

I enjoy my i5 256 SP3, but it seems as if I am constantly trying to workout some hack/trick for this or that arising issue, it doesn't 'just work' out of the box, as my i-products do. Dont get me wrong, I am no apple fanboy, so oh-how-I-want to love the Surface...

One issue I find myself experiencing is the fact that it's very difficult to use Windows' OS in tablet mode. Doing things such as browsing, switching from app to app, cutting and pasting, inserting comments, sharing photos, etc., Windows just doesn't seem to do it seemlessly. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had good pointers when it comes to using it in tablet mode? For example, I find it nearly impossible to cut/paste briskly. I have to sit here poking the screen for about 2 minutes before I successfully accomplish my goal. Any better way to accomplish this?

Also, with the 'sharing' charms button, I decided to use it for the first time a few mins ago (wanted to share a Flipbook page). Wrote out a short comment and attempted to 'tag' one of my FB friends; of course, it didn't bring up any names, even with the @ character. I know that this may be program-specific, but it's still another thing that just doesn't 'work'.

Also, I find myself wanting to use different default programs when I use the 'Metro' display as opposed to when I use the desktop. For example, in desktop mode, I want Windows to use 'Windows Photo Viewer to browse through the photos. When I click on a photo in Metro mode, I want the 'metro' type photo app to open the picture. The same with browsing. I dont want to click on a link or IE, and have the DESKTOP version suddenly open up. It's difficult and tedious to click on small menu bars, submenus and drop-downs.

Really though, why are customers having to bring up these extremely simple concepts, that even the most mainstream of users would enjoy and use daily? What is Microsoft doing? Im constantly thinking, "Why would they do that?" when it comes to Windows and the general UI.

BillJ

Operating systems are like languages. I grew up speaking English, so that even though I have learned to speak French and German, I feel most fluent and comfortable conversing in English.
Windows 8.1 has become my "mother tongue" in my digital realm, and I find performing my productivity tasks with my SP3 to be elegant and efficient. Where another person may encounter a maddening mishmash with Windows, I see only flexibility and unlimited options.
Other people will be most at home with a different operating system.
That is OK. Just as one language is not inherently better or worse than another, so it is with OS's as well.
Celebrate the diversity that enriches us all.

nipponham

Stick to Metro browsers for easy cut & paste. Admittedly, it’s difficult to do in desktop. Use the Window snap function to have up to three apps open side-by-side-by-side.

Did you mean Flipboard when you said Flipbook? Which app did you choose to share the article? If you used People, did you import all your contacts?

Unfortunately, you can’t have different default programs depending on environment, although you can set it by file extension.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Stick to Metro browsers for easy cut & paste. Admittedly, it’s difficult to do in desktop. Use the Window snap function to have up to three apps open side-by-side-by-side.

Did you mean Flipboard when you said Flipbook? Which app did you choose to share the article? If you used People, did you import all your contacts?

Unfortunately, you can’t have different default programs depending on environment, although you can set it by file extension.

Yes sorry Flipboard. I used the charm right-side swipe bar, share, then FB. I actually thought that was a easy, intuitive place to put a 'share' icon, but then, of course, the names of my FB friends did not populate. And no, I have not migrated all my contacts as of yet. Would think a 'facebook share' would know to automatically pull my contacts remotely.

Think your main issue is that you're using it basically as a tablet first, when it's more primed towards being a laptop than as a tablet, at least from my experience - and if that's the case, it might not be the best device for you usage. Kinda sounds like you'd be better off with a dedicated tablet that has an optional keyboard - ie an iPad, or perhaps one of the Nexus android tablets.

The one thing I will say regarding your mentioned issues - is that switching between apps/programs is one of the easiest/fluid things on the SP3 - provided you've set yours up so that when you swipe from the left of the screen it brings up all your recent apps/programs. Nothing easier than that for switching between them.

ptrkhh

I find it nearly impossible to cut/paste briskly. I have to sit here poking the screen for about 2 minutes before I successfully accomplish my goal. Any better way to accomplish this?
Try using the pen. Drag with the second button (upper one) pressed for selecting, and tap on it with the second button pressed again. Tapping with the second button pressed is equivalent to right click in computers or tap-and-hold in tablets. You could also use the on screen keyboard to select and cut/copy/paste as if youre on a computer. The left-right arrow is there, so does shift and Ctrl. I often use Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V too.

Also, with the 'sharing' charms button, I decided to use it for the first time a few mins ago (wanted to share a Flipbook page). Wrote out a short comment and attempted to 'tag' one of my FB friends; of course, it didn't bring up any names, even with the @ character. I know that this may be program-specific, but it's still another thing that just doesn't 'work'.
Did you do this with the official FB app or the People app? I would recommend to use the FB app to share, since the People app is pretty basic.

The same with browsing. I dont want to click on a link or IE, and have the DESKTOP version suddenly open up. It's difficult and tedious to click on small menu bars, submenus and drop-downs.
I find that annoying too. You can easily change that though.
Search for Internet Options, click the "Programs" tab and choose "Always in Internet Explorer" in the drop-down menu. This way, clicking a link will always open the metro IE.