What's new

Loving my new i7 SP3

rjwerth

This is the device I've been waiting for! Bought my first tablet PC, a Tecra M4 about 8 years ago hoping it to be what the SP3 is today. It was a great machine and is still in use in my kitchen BTW...After that, it was a Fujisu T901. Another very trusty (but heavy and thick) tablet PC.

I took advantage of Staples $100 rebate plus 15% back in Staples rewards when I bought mine. I didn't get the type cover so that I could use my rewards and get it in January. Gotta play the game if you want a deal these days.

A couple comments/questions:

1) If MS really wanted to get people to use Metro (modern...whatever), they really need to take the lead and make their basic programs work with the rest of the world. There is no excuse in this day and age to not have POP email and Google calendar/contact compatibility right out of the box. This is what happens when a software company makes hardware and not the other way round I guess.....but seriously??

2) There should be separate default apps depending on what interface I'm in. It is just weird to click help on a metro app only to be thrown into desktop FireFox to read the on-line help.

3) Why can't I have a different background on my desktop PC vs my Surface? That seems just silly....or am I missing something?

4) What is the best PORTABLE docking station out there? The standard one is too chunky and I often need a wired Ethernet and additional USB ports on job sites. I've seen the USB3 hubs that include Ethernet that certainly look interesting, however, I have a few pieces of hardware that historically HATE hubs and want to be plugged directly into the computer. I'm guessing the docking station ports are more directly connected to the surface. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

#1 Microsoft - Google = oil -water

#2 If MUI IE was your default browser it would.

#3 You may be missing something

#4 There is s rumor that at some point everything will be wireless. I'm not holding my breath.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Targus, Pluggable, Anker and Cable Matters seem to be the best most popular USB 3 Docking Stations with Dual monitor support, Ethernet, audio, multiple USB ports.

Check your syncing options regarding backgrounds ... swipe from right, Settings, Chance PC settings, OneDrive, Sync...

ptrkhh

1) If MS really wanted to get people to use Metro (modern...whatever), they really need to take the lead and make their basic programs work with the rest of the world. There is no excuse in this day and age to not have POP email and Google calendar/contact compatibility right out of the box. This is what happens when a software company makes hardware and not the other way round I guess.....but seriously??
Dont blame MS for Google's fault. They refuse to support Windows in any way. In fact, for Windows Phone, MS has made them a YouTube app for the people to use THEIR service, yet Google blocked the app for really vague reasons. They're really afraid of the potential of Windows, apparently.

2) There should be separate default apps depending on what interface I'm in. It is just weird to click help on a metro app only to be thrown into desktop FireFox to read the on-line help.
Don't blame MS for Firefox' fault. They have initially made the Metro version of Firefox. The beta version has it back then, but they abandoned it last-minute.

malberttoo

If MS really wanted to get people to use Metro (modern...whatever), they really need to take the lead and make their basic programs work with the rest of the world.

Microsoft and Google are nearly mortal enemies. Ask yourself, why can't you use the Gmail interface to connect to an Exchange server and check an Exchange email box? Same diff. It probably pains Google enough that they have to support Active Sync on their Android devices.

Congrats on the new SP3 and welcome to the forum!

megatronium

Microsoft and Google are nearly mortal enemies. Ask yourself, why can't you use the Gmail interface to connect to an Exchange server and check an Exchange email box? Same diff. It probably pains Google enough that they have to support Active Sync on their Android devices.

Congrats on the new SP3 and welcome to the forum!

This is undoubtedly true. I can't even install Chrome on my sp3. It never installs. Granted, I only wanted to use it for Chromecast support but it's insane that it won't install - I know others have done it but it won't for me and that's fine.

ChiGGz

If you want a decent semi-portable docking station with USB3, Ethernet and video, I highly recommend this Anker docking station. It only has two USB 3.0 ports but it has an additional four USB 2.0 ports, support for dual video, ethernet, and audio.

http://www.amazon.com/Display-Universal-Docking-Ethernet-included/dp/B00C631EYU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419288894&sr=1-1&keywords=anker usb 3.0 dual display universal docking station

My understanding (and I could be wrong...) with USB docking stations, everything has additional CPU overhead because it not going directly to dedicated hardware but routes through the CPU enroute to its final destination. IE your GPU if hooking to USB->External Monitor. Performance isn't so much an issue, but could be for gaming maybe for such this example.

Are official docking stations any better? I'm not familiar with the circuitry on them. Would love to hear thoughts on this.

OP
R

rjwerth

Thanks for all the responses. The docking stations all look interesting. Video out is probably not a necessity, but a wired Ethernet and added USB ports that will work with finicky devices are.

You missed my point about default programs switching between desktop apps and metro. I get why it is, but Windows should let me set separate default programs based on what interface I'm calling an action from. So if I'm in a metro program and it calls for a web page, it should use metro IE. If I'm on my desktop, it should use Firefox. Yes, it stinks so many companies aren't building for metro, but it is up to MS to make it more desirable to use. In computers, it isn't just "if you build it, they (developers) will come," its "if you build it and enough people use it, they will come..."

If MS really wanted to get market share back, they would really emphasize keeping people's data private. That is, if they are interested in doing that (which they probably aren't).