What's new

New to Surface Pro 3.. Help

markb06

Hi

I've just treated myself to a new Surface Pro 3. (After 9 years of being a Mac only guy, this is a big jump!)

Loving the device so far, however I want some help with some burning questions...

1.) I use Chrome as my primary browser, as I use this at work, however I will likely only use this in Desktop mode. Is there a way to have IE open up in Metro mode, when in Metro Windows. (Now i've made Chrome the default, IE only seems to open in desktop mode?)

I love the Surface for it's half tablet, half laptop feel, however things like this force one or the other? I also don't want to use Chrome in Metro Mode as it doesn't seem very touch friendly.

2.) I'm finding the general icons a little small, anyone got any tips for optimizing this? Tried scalling from 150% to 200% however 200% is a little too big, can I make it 175%? Can't find a way?

3.) Is there a way to track a Windows tablet if it's stolen, like on iOS? Can't find it if there is?

4.) I'm using WPS Office, seems like the perfect free Office replacement, however again the menus are so tiny is not really useable. Can I increase this?

Thanks in advance for your help! Also any other great newbie tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

malberttoo

Hi

I've just treated myself to a new Surface Pro 3. (After 9 years of being a Mac only guy, this is a big jump!)

Loving the device so far, however I want some help with some burning questions...

1.) I use Chrome as my primary browser, as I use this at work, however I will likely only use this in Desktop mode. Is there a way to have IE open up in Metro mode, when in Metro Windows. (Now i've made Chrome the default, IE only seems to open in desktop mode?)

I love the Surface for it's half tablet, half laptop feel, however things like this force one or the other? I also don't want to use Chrome in Metro Mode as it doesn't seem very touch friendly.

2.) I'm finding the general icons a little small, anyone got any tips for optimizing this? Tried scalling from 150% to 200% however 200% is a little too big, can I make it 175%? Can't find a way?

3.) Is there a way to track a Windows tablet if it's stolen, like on iOS? Can't find it if there is?

4.) I'm using WPS Office, seems like the perfect free Office replacement, however again the menus are so tiny is not really useable. Can I increase this?

Thanks in advance for your help! Also any other great newbie tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark, welcome!

For #3, I suggest you check out Prey at https://preyproject.com/. I believe you can track up to 3 devices for free.

gdir

For #1: I faced the same problem and couldn't find a solution for it. Even forcing the settings through the Group Policy Editor didn't help. It seems that MUI IE is not accessible when IE is not configured to be the standard browser. I don't see a reason for this restriction.

For #2: Yes it's possible as long as you don't plan to attach an external monitor. Have a look at these screeshots. They are from a german Windows, but I think you will recognize the dialogs. The trick is that what looks like a read-only drop down box is in fact an editable text field.
Edit_scaling_1.PNG
Edit_scaling_2.PNG
Edit_scaling_3.PNG

OP
markb06

markb06

Hey

Thanks Guys, I tried that and can't seem to put in 175? It just reverts to 100?
Did you try any random numbers?

Yes it's silly. I want to use the Surface Pro 3 as a tablet after work without the keyboard. (I actually love how the kickstand makes it easy to type on the screen, sometimes hardly ever use the keyboard cover.) And want to use IE for this.

But as Chrome is my default, there seems to be no option?

Otherwise, loving the Surface Pro 3 so far!

NOTE: Sorry scrap that, just changed it manually! (Didn't hit apply first time!) I find 165% is best suited for me, bigger but not too big!

mitchellvii

I'm using the slider zoom scale right in the middle. That way things on my external 23" monitor don't look HUGE. Lol, wish that worked with good old Access 2003. That dinosaur (which I love so) doesn't scale for crap.