What's new

Using USB-C to charge

e1e10000

I tried charging my Surface Go using the USB-C port connected to a cell phone charger, and while the device says that the charger is connected, it isn't able to actually charge. I assume I need to use a more powerful charger. I'm considering trying the charger that came with my Amazon Fire HD10 which is a 5.2v 1.8amp "9W" charger. Just wanted to be sure it isn't going to be harmful to the Surface Go before I do.

Snapshot

The charger for my Galaxy Book which is a very similar device to the Go is rated at 5.0V-9.0V 2.0A so I think your Fire charger might still be a bit weak to effectively charge your Go. USB C charging is really slow when the charger can only output 5V. I have a variety of 45W and 65W chargers that can ramp up to 20V if the device asks for it.

OP
E

e1e10000

Thanks. Do you have the Galaxy Book with the detachable keyboard? I think all the current ones have attached keyboards.

Snapshot

Yes, it has a detachable keyboard. I'm not at all sure there's a new model of the 10.6 so they should all have detachable keyboards. I'm moving to a Go 2 (should be delivered later today) as the main limitations of the Book are 4GB RAM & 64GB SSD.

OP
E

e1e10000

Well, I've tried the 9 watt Amazon Fire charger, and it will actually charge, sometimes. And other times it refuses to charge. So inconsistent results. I even tried my iPad charger, which has a slightly higher wattage, but it wouldn't charge at all with that one.
What would be a good aftermarket charger to use with my Surface Go? Could I buy one of the more powerful chargers from Apple to use with it? Reason I'm interested in the Apple chargers is they seem to be high quality.

Snapshot

I've found a Samsung 25W charger that works with my Go 2. In the UK it's the EP-TA800 and there were several eBay vendors with them. It needs a USB C to USB C cable but the vendors all offered this as an option. If you're not in the UK (or ROI) I suspect the TA800 part is what you need to look for.