What's new

Surface Pro 4 top issues

So, it sounds as if you sleep better than your Surface. ;) My sleeping drain is <.05% per hour set to go into sleep mode 60 minutes after closing the tablet.

I don't get anything near that. Does your device enter DRIPS mode? The best I've seen is 1% per hour. I'm trying to figure out if it's because my device never goes into DRIPS - I have yet to see that.

leeshor

No DRIPs! 1% isn't all that bad but I'm guessing you have WiFi connected during sleep. I don't as I don't see a need for it. That may make a difference. Some forum members would give anything to get it to 1%. In 8 hours of sleep I normally lose 3% although there have been a few time it was as high as 5%

Well, that was what I was getting prior to the Threshold update, about 550 mWh. Now it's about 2.5x that. For whatever reason, the graphics card is constantly be used and wifi is setup to turn off during sleep.

So you say no to DRIP? :) Is that because the SPs shouldn't be entering that state?

leeshor

Well, that was what I was getting prior to the Threshold update, about 550 mWh. Now it's about 2.5x that. For whatever reason, the graphics card is constantly be used and wifi is setup to turn off during sleep.

So you say no to DRIP? :) Is that because the SPs shouldn't be entering that state?
That's correct. Not available. As for the power loss you may want to go back through all your settings. The upgrade may have shaken something loose and undone one.

TTown

I was having the following issues when I first bought the SP4:

Battery draining fast
Battery drain during sleep
Display driver crash (occasionally)
Screen flickering (once)

About a week into this, I reset my SP4. I'd say after the reset and current updates applied to my SP4, all of these issues have been resolved. I still get a little battery drain during sleep, but nothing that concerns me. I am comfortable leaving ,y SP4 off the charger overnight.

Peacy

Battery drain for me during sleep is an obsession, I even think about it when sleeping. Other than that, my SP4 is fine. I should just enjoy it.

Yeah its doing my head in, ive set it to hibernate now after 1 hour of sleep, the battery is the only thing now other than that loving my surface...

Peacy

Ive just run powercfg -energy and get this in the results

CPU Utilisation:processor utilisation is high
The average processor utilisation during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilisation is very low. Review processor utilisation for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilisation.
Average Utilisation (%) 6.21

USB Suspend:USB Device Rarely Entering Selective Suspend
This device intermittently entered the USB Selective Suspend state during the trace. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Input Device
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D2F
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_045E&PID_07E8
Port Path 7
Time Suspended (%) 45

anybody shed any light on this for me or how to fix it?

Bi-209

I keep getting the "Never wake up from sleep/power off" bug where everything but the screen activates. It started after getting the November update, and it happens daily. Are there any solutions to this issue?

So, it sounds as if you sleep better than your Surface. ;) My sleeping drain is <.05% per hour set to go into sleep mode 60 minutes after closing the tablet.
I hope you mistyped that percentage..... because if you didn't, then your OCD is more an issue than the battery drain. What you've typed is that you are losing 1/20 of one percent per hour. So in other words, in 20 hours, you will lose 1 percent.

If what you meant is that you lose 5% every hour, that's an issue. I personally lose about 1% an hour, but then that's not drastically different from what every tablet I've ever owned has lost overnight. As a previous person noted, the only issue that seems a consistent one for most users was the display driver crashes, which as I've noted elsewhere, I think is a Windows 10 issue affecting many, many Windows 10 devices from different manufacturers. Specifically it seems to be related to Edge, and so when I use Chrome, I avoid the issue 100%.

leeshor

You are correct it was supposed to be 0.5. - 1/2%. I have had 4 SP4s in my office, 2 for customers, one for me and one as a gift. The only display driver crashes any of them have had, for certain the 2 that are in my office and the other 2 while I had them in my office to configure for the customers, only had a crash once, the first day. The 2 in the hands of my customer don't use Edge as their default browser.

I think one of those "may" have had a crash since leaving my office and I determined it was because they used Cortana and Cortana seems to only use Edge by default no matter how I set it up.

You are correct it was supposed to be 0.5. - 1/2%. I have had 4 SP4s in my office, 2 for customers, one for me and one as a gift. The only display driver crashes any of them have had, for certain the 2 that are in my office and the other 2 while I had them in my office to configure for the customers, only had a crash once, the first day. The 2 in the hands of my customer don't use Edge as their default browser.

I think one of those "may" have had a crash since leaving my office and I determined it was because they used Cortana and Cortana seems to only use Edge by default no matter how I set it up.

I'm sorry, but even that seems painfully picky to me. So your complaint is that you lose 1% battery life IN TWO HOURS? And you've at some point in your life had a tablet that did better than that? How on earth can it be a real-world problem that affects you in a meaningful way that, after sleeping 8 hours, your tablet has gone from 100% to 96%? I mean, plug in the charger and brush your teeth and you should be fine. lol

leeshor

I'm sorry, but even that seems painfully picky to me. So your complaint is that you lose 1% battery life IN TWO HOURS? And you've at some point in your life had a tablet that did better than that? How on earth can it be a real-world problem that affects you in a meaningful way that, after sleeping 8 hours, your tablet has gone from 100% to 96%? I mean, plug in the charger and brush your teeth and you should be fine. lol
I think you must be misunderstanding something. My battery loss of 1/2%/hr. isn't a complaint. My last 3 laptops had roughly the same battery loss, all on Windows 7. I'm not being picky at all. There are others on this forum with similar results. But, some others are complaining about far more batter loss in sleep than I am. My Android tablet is also in that range. My one major concession on that Android tablet is an app that automatically puts it into auto airplane mode when sleeping.