What's new

Crazy theory? Is Edge responsible for Surface woes?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The display driver crash doesn't prevent you from using the device. Freezing does. So I can understand why they focused on that first. I think the display driver issues is going to need help from both Intel and Microsoft.
I believe CPU microcode is Intel's realm and this is likely where the Graphics problem lies also. It seems other Skylake early adopters are having similar issues.

I believe CPU microcode is Intel's realm and this is likely where the Graphics problem lies also. It seems other Skylake early adopters are having similar issues.

I have a Lenovo W541 laptop (4th Gen i7) that I got in March. I never had a display driver error up until the Win 10 Threshold 2 update. After that, I get a display driver error/crash periodically, which leads me to believe it's a combination of OS/Driver.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Lenovo W541 laptop (4th Gen i7) that I got in March. I never had a display driver error up until the Win 10 Threshold 2 update. After that, I get a display driver error/crash periodically, which leads me to believe it's a combination of OS/Driver.
Probably a case of trying to make one driver fit too many different Intel GPUs. They have been tweaking this and resulted in spreading the problem rather than fixing it. It needs to be KISSed & forked :)

OP
S

stammie

Edge is constantly crashing display driver just browsing web sites lol

Firefox also caused me constant display driver crashes until I disabled hardware acceleration.

Since I stopped using Edge I haven't experienced any of the other major bugs that seemed to be causing me.
Here's hoping MS get round to fixing it, as I said in my OP I quite like it as a browser and would probably switch to using it if it didn't cause so many problems on my SP4