What's new

Crazy theory? Is Edge responsible for Surface woes?

stammie

I've only had my SP4 for 6 days but apart from battery drain during sleep and not great battery life in general I've not experienced any of the common bugs that have been posted.
Apart from a quick try I've never really used Edge properly before but decided on my new device to give it a proper try out, I don't really use extensions so it seemed a good idea, I like it as a browser, its fast and smooth but in the 24 hours since I've been using it exclusively as my browser I've experienced the full gamut of SP4 faults, it may just be coincidence but in this last day using Edge I've had the typecover not work with a USB error reported, touch screen go unresponsive, the machine not waking up or turning on and display driver crashes which I thought the last firmware update had fixed.
As I said it might be coincidence but seems strange to me an otherwise working device suddenly starts going haywire when using that program.
I'm gonna switch back to Chrome for a day, then have a day using Firefox to see if either of those reproduce the errors.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say it's just windows 10 :p

I've only had my surface pro 4 for 5 hours, and only used edge on it during that time, and there was narry an issue.

I started a return for a screen issue, so did a reset to wipe personal data, and it stuck at 7%, failed, and is now stuck in a bootloop (surface logo, no spinning dots, restarts, repeat). So now even if i changed my mind about the screen, gotta return it.

leeshor

Having been around the forum as long as you have I'm sure you don't have a microSD card installed.

OP
S

stammie

Not crazy and not really news either. Check the hints in this thread that may help. HowTo - How To and Master Help for the Surface Pro 4 | Page 2 | Microsoft Surface Forums

Having done my best to avoid Edge I have not experienced the problems others who use it have had. And have sated as much quite a few times on the forum.

Thanks, I tried to keep abreast of SP4 issues before I bought mine but haven't read every post on the forum.
Guess its time to give Firefox a try again (I really want to move away from the all pervasive Chrome) but I've probably just been unlucky but every time in the .past I've tried to use FF I end up getting issues.

leeshor

Thanks, I tried to keep abreast of SP4 issues before I bought mine but haven't read every post on the forum.
Guess its time to give Firefox a try again (I really want to move away from the all pervasive Chrome) but I've probably just been unlucky but every time in the .past I've tried to use FF I end up getting issues.
I use FF on my Surface Pro but I also have AdBlock Plus and Noscript installed, (and quite a few other extensions). Only one issue so far on one WEB site that has been an issue for me before. Otherwise it runs really well for me.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having been around the forum as long as you have I'm sure you don't have a microSD card installed.

Nope. Brand new device out of the box, not even a keyboard attached, not a single program installed. Simply browsed for a few hours while i did the windows updates, then upon getting a return auth i did a simple reset (not the deep clean) and i am now the owner of a very attractive brick :)

OP
S

stammie

Nope. Brand new device out of the box, not even a keyboard attached, not a single program installed. Simply browsed for a few hours while i did the windows updates, then upon getting a return auth i did a simple reset (not the deep clean) and i am now the owner of a very attractive brick :)

What about creating a Win 10 or SP4 image on a USB stick then try installing from that to wipe your data from the device?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about creating a Win 10 or SP4 image on a USB stick then try installing from that to wipe your data from the device?

More effort than it's worth tbh. Easier just to send it back and have them deal with the problem, i've a lot more important stuff on my plate than fussing about with a broken surface. It's not really anything sensitive i was trying to wipe, and i'm pretty sure MS aren't the kind to go storing peoples passwords for nefarious reasons :D

nuttyone

Having had the SP4 since Friday I have too witnessed a breadth of issues and bugs. I guess it's a consequence of having the latest in portable hardware and a Windows OS. Of course as iOS developed there are more issues/bugs on the iPhone and iPad, albeit I must admit not as many as Win10, but then again this is a full blown OS on a portable device.

Back to the OP query, most of my issues seem to be a bit random, for example, I would get an error appear if I try to shutdown just as both external harddrives I have plugged in start-up and want to communicate with my PC. It took around 4 hours to install TH2 and the Surface firmware update.. on the second attempt!

Having said all that, I am still extremely happy with it, and yes it might not be as 'perfect' or 100% reliable as my desktop was, but it is far far quieter, smarter, cooler and takes much less space. Oh and with the 1TB OneDrive and real-time backup to an external Harddrive I am quite protected from data loss.

P.S. (edit): oh, and I use IE10, avoid Edge... too childlike looking for me.