What's new

Loose charging port?

Dan203

I bought A Surface 3 back in August. In November it developed an issue where it would get random clicks down the left side of the screen. I contacted support and they sent me a replacement. For the most part it works fine, but the charging port seems loose or something. The cable clicks in and it says it's charging but there is a LOT of play in the cable and it looks like it's just going to fall out of the socket. I can't remember if the old one did the same thing or not. Maybe I'm just looking for things wrong with the new one. Does everyone else see the same thing? Or is there something wrong with this new one?

Like I said it seems to be working OK, just looks/feels loose and I'm worried this is something that will fail over time. (after the warranty expires)

Telstar1948

The charging port on my S3 doesn't appear to be loose. The charger plugs into it snugly. As you appear to be concerned with the charging port, why not take it to a Microsoft store to let them look at it, if you have a store within reasonable driving range. If not, the only other thing I can think of would be to take a video showing how much play there is in the connector and sending that to MS support to see what they think. Of course, if you bought the S3 at Best Buy or someplace like that, you could take the S3 to them and see what they think. Just bouncing around ideas.

OP
D

Dan203

Unfortunately I bought it on Amazon and there are no Microsoft stores anywhere near me. (nearest one is like 7 hours away)

When I was having the random click issue I took a video of it and uploaded it to YouTube so I could show the support people what it was, but when I actually talked to them they said they weren't allowed to look at YouTube so they couldn't see the video. :(

Here is a video so you guys can see what I'm talking about...

OP
D

Dan203

Crap now it's not charging. I had it plugged in all day and that little white light was on, but I just went to use it and it's only at 17%. :(

Telstar1948

I'm sure you're probably reached the conclusion that it's time to exchange it. If there's someway to check your charger to make sure it's functioning properly, I would do that too. If you have a store (Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot etc) that sells the S3, take your charger with you and plug it into a demo unit and check it to see if it's charging or not.

Girevik

I'm sure you're probably reached the conclusion that it's time to exchange it. If there's someway to check your charger to make sure it's functioning properly, I would do that too. If you have a store (Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot etc) that sells the S3, take your charger with you and plug it into a demo unit and check it to see if it's charging or not.

Isn't it just a micro USB charger? You might be able to plug it into a cell phone or some such to see if the charger is working.

OP
D

Dan203

I tried another cable and it's still really loose. So it's not the cable. It did charge, but it seems that if it's not lined up just right it dorsn't charge. I need to contact support and see about geting yet another repoacement.