What's new

Additional fast charging cable similar to OEM?

netuser

Instead of buying an additional $40 charger when all I need is the cable, where can I get a charging cable that will allow maximum charging speed and also has the similar slim 90 degree angle so that it won't protrude out when plugged into the Surface?
I'm looking for something that will be ideal for recharging with a battery pack while the Surface is in a bag.
Standard cables stick straight out and force you to bend the cable awkwardly to fit inside a tight tote bag which may cause the cable connector to fail quickly.
I see adapters you can buy, but I want to make sure any 90 degree micro usb adapters will not cut the charging speed.
71qKiSCSILL._SL1500_.jpg

61q-t64pP7L._SL1200_.jpg

malberttoo

Instead of buying an additional $40 charger when all I need is the cable, where can I get a charging cable that will allow maximum charging speed and also has the similar slim 90 degree angle so that it won't protrude out when plugged into the Surface?
I'm looking for something that will be ideal for recharging with a battery pack while the Surface is in a bag.
Standard cables stick straight out and force you to bend the cable awkwardly to fit inside a tight tote bag which may cause the cable connector to fail quickly.
I see adapters you can buy, but I want to make sure any 90 degree micro usb adapters will not cut the charging speed.
71qKiSCSILL._SL1500_.jpg

61q-t64pP7L._SL1200_.jpg

You should check out @GreyFox7 's thread here- http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/surface-3-charging.15115/, you'll probably get at least half of your question answered... :D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems most cables and connector adapters don't list any specs at all. Thank the modern era of; "it just works", unless it doesn't. Even cables that claim "Fast Charge" may only carry 1A.

Most of this market is geared towards phones with lower power requirements, that's why most tablets had custom cables to begin with. Tablet charging via micro USB is mostly *new* be skeptical, be very skeptical especially of the ones that list data sync cable.

There's nothing in the cable to indicate capacity/wire size, it will probably just heat up if it's not up to the task and might even melt.

There are other issues that contribute to low charge rates. "Intelligent" chargers and devices communicate over the Data line and should negotiate a rate. Unrecognized devices are assumed to be low power half amp (0.5A) and some only provide higher power if specific devices are recognized. Some power only cables and the power side of a Y cable has no data lines/pins so there's no communication or they may be shorted.

I'm wondering where the real upside to this is other than when your stuck with MacGyver in a cave with a hand crank generator you will be able to rig up a charger using available components from toys and loose wires to charge 10% after 5 hours of tag team cranking. :)

OP
N

netuser

My question is mostly about finding an alternate cable that has a low profile when plugged into the Surface so it fits in a tight tote bag without having to severely bend the cable where it connects. Otherwise, I may just order another Microsoft charger including the brick, but that seems like could be a waste of money.

If I have a straight micro usb cable that works for fast charging when used by itself, can adding a right or left angle 90 degree adapter as shown in the second photo above cause it to drop down to slow charging?