What's new

Just got my i7 Surface. --Questions/problems

CalypsoArt

Just got my i7 surface today. There have been a few annoying glitches. I'm hoping it's just my ignorance and I'll sort them out. Here is what has happened so far:

1. After using the unit for 30 minutes I put it to sleep and then it would not wake. Had to use another machine to figure out how to shutdown so I could restart.

2. Plugged in an external Dell U3014 monitor. It was not found or recognized. I plugged directly into the mini DisplayPort, and also using a dock. The only screen available in the display setup was the surface screen. This may be a setting in the monitor.

3. At one point the pen would not work on the screen. It would trigger OneNote, but not be able to write or register any functions. It was shown as "connected" in settings. Only restarting the device made it again function.

4. The included OneNote looks nothing like the manuals for it all over the web. I can not find many of the functions shown as being part of OneNote. Converting handwriting to text for one. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

1. After using the unit for 30 minutes I put it to sleep and then it would not wake. Had to use another machine to figure out how to shutdown so I could restart.

This has been a fairly common issue that will likely be fixed with an update. I assume you have checked for updates until you came up with nothing available. Next time that happens try a ctrl-alt-del.

2. Plugged in an external Dell U3014 monitor. It was not found or recognized. I plugged directly into the mini DisplayPort, and also using a dock. The only screen available in the display setup was the surface screen. This may be a setting in the monitor.

That may be an issue with the cable or it may require a manual input change on the monitor, but it should work.

3. At one point the pen would not work on the screen. It would trigger OneNote, but not be able to write or register any functions. It was shown as "connected" in settings. Only restarting the device made it again function.

Try pairing the pen again, though I don't feel that will help, it can't hurt. Again, be certain you have all the updates.

4. The included OneNote looks nothing like the manuals for it all over the web. I can not find many of the functions shown as being part of OneNote. Converting handwriting to text for one. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

The OneNote opening up with the pen is not the desktop version you have read about. It's a cloud, (OneDrive, MUI) version, and you're correct, it isn't the same

OP
C

CalypsoArt

The OneNote opening up with the pen is not the desktop version you have read about. It's a cloud, (OneDrive, MUI) version, and you're correct, it isn't the same

Does this mean that the full featured OneNote is gone/unavailable? I've searched but keep being taken to MS office. I can find no stand alone application. I do not need or want MS office.

kevroc

I found / downloaded a standalone desktop version of OneNote 2016 about a month ago, took me a while to find it, but the key I think was searching for the "free" version of onenote.

OP
C

CalypsoArt

I'm getting very disappointed in this unit. I haven't had the unit 24 hours and its hung about 8 times requiring reboots. It crashed when downloading the latest updates. Thankfully I was able to restart it and have it complete.

After the updates, it seems that it now wakes correctly from sleep. However, there are display glitches.
Before the update I was able move tiles and place them wherever I wanted. Now the tiles are locked in place. They can be either pinned or unpinned, but I am unable to choose placement. Is there some option I'm missing?

I also loaded my CorelDraw X7 software. The install screens were not scaled right and I actually had to get out a magnifying glass to see the options. This same package installed and works fine on my laptop with a clean install of Windows 10.

OP
C

CalypsoArt

I would try one more cold boot.

Thanks. Things seem to have cleared up.

Now I find that Windows Mail does not have my People/Contacts linked. When I start a new Email, clicking in addressee box does not offer contacts. However, they are all there in the People app. I have my Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo and one other email account added. It does not work with any of them.

On my laptop with Windows 10 and the same accounts, Mail does show contacts.
How do I get mail on the Surface to link with the contacts. I don't recall having to do anything special on the laptop.

Last edited:

Zkyevolved

In Mail, right click the account and click settings.
Do you have this?
snip_20151221083240.png