What's new

Dual Boot Surface Pro 3 with default Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.x

RegisMoore

I really like the SP3 and I would buy 100 more of them for my employees if I could just get a straight answer on how to solve this simple problem.

We have proprietary software that has to run on Windows 7. I want to be able to dual boot from the default Windows 8.1 that came installed on the device and an instance of Windows 7 Enterprise. I have tried most of the posts out there on this and find that most don't work and some are just bunk and you can clearly see where they edit the video to show fake success. If this is so easy then why hasn't Microsoft itself posted the instructions.

I know there are pro's and con's to both VHD's and physically partitioning the drive so please spare me the opinionated lectures on your beliefs. Like I said we have tried both ways from all these posts and none have worked.

So my ask is does anyone have instructions on how to "Dual Boot Surface Pro 3 with default Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.x"?

I am even willing to offer up a reward.

Thank you

OP
R

RegisMoore

As I stated there are PRO's and CON's to both approaches. At this point I don't care which way we have to go I just want directions that actually work.

Thank you

Last edited:

daniielrp

I'm not talking about dual booting, just virtualising a machine and running your program with it. VirtualBox or VMware would do this easily.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
After a short search, I don't see anyone that has done it or even gotten Win7 to install directly on a Surface Pro 3.
The reason given for this failure is that Surface is a class 3 UEFI device and does not support int 10 required by Win7. The next problem you would have is drivers.

Virtualization appears to be the way to go which of course virtualizes the hardware avoiding the OS requirement limitations.

So, ? to the OP. in light of your indications that nobody has really done it. Have you considered virtualization and is there any limitation of your requirements that would preclude using a virtualization solution.

VMware Workstation lists for $250 per, VMware Player is $150.
Hyper-V is actually available in Windows Pro so you already have it.
Not sure about licensing for VirtualBox in a business environment.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The other option you may have is Application Virtualization. If you only have one or two apps that require Win7 you may be able to virtualize those app and run them on Win8/10.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Pro 3 is incompatible with Windows 7, as far as know the Wireless Driver supports 8.1 and later, Windows 7 doesn't support UEFI Secure Boot nor S0iX Power Management.

Enable Hyper-V and run Win 7 virtually or through VDI...