What's new

Dead Marvel Wireless Controller? Any Ideas?

AllTaken

Wow, the description of the problem in that Reddit thread pretty much matches the problem I had exactly. Did you try the recommended solution of disabling fast start up?

I'm assuming you tried it on yours and it must not have worked or you would have said so. That is too bad. I hope you have found a solution to the problem, I know you said you are far away, but if you can be without the device for a few weeks, maybe MS will still honor their warranty. After all, they can't hold it against you if you are just on an "extended travel stay outside the United States" can they?

I halfway wish I had seen that thread before I returned mine, but on the other hand, I'm glad I don't have it to worry about anymore. Mostly, I would have just liked to have had the satisfaction of knowing if that solved the problem. I've spent the last couple of days researching a replacement. As I decided before purchasing the Surface, there really is no perfect alternative out there for this device. If it didn't have all the niggling issues I see here, I'd have gladly exchanged mine for another one. Looks like I'll be settling for a laptop this go around.

Good Luck!

Rick

Surface Pro 4 perhaps? Could be a while, could be a couple of months but if you liked the pro 3 beside the niggles perhaps a Pro 4 with its undoubtedly fixed WiFi etc could be the answer?

Kif

Surface Pro 4 perhaps? Could be a while, could be a couple of months but if you liked the pro 3 beside the niggles perhaps a Pro 4 with its undoubtedly fixed WiFi etc could be the answer?

New hardware might fix old issues but will probably come with new ones too. I've owned at one time or another ipad 2/3/4/air/air 2 and rMini. Each generation fixes some stuff and breaks other stuff. Another example is the Yoga pro 3 which many people think is interior to the yoga pro 2.

The marvel controller is a bit of a soft spot but the majority of people including myself have had little or no issues with it. The surface pro 4 doesn't exist so it's neither better or worst then the current offering.

Last edited:

AllTaken

In someways that's true.

Nah, that's hogwash. Each iteration has presented 'niggles' in some form or another but each revision of the Surface line has been a leap. Going by the surface alone (lets admit that it is a unique device) it has only got better in each revision.

As for the Yoga - Terrible idea, that has been stuck with for the sake of having a product in the 'Evolution of the laptop' space.

Sp4 will be a fantastic device, Sp3 sales have put the Surface brand in the black - it's challenging the status quo in notebook design, gaining massive popularity through the advertising and marketing campaigns and Microsoft know they have a real winner here.

It will be awesome. Queue iPad Pro running OS X in 2016 (They'll say they're making it right, making it work).

GeorgeA

Wow, the description of the problem in that Reddit thread pretty much matches the problem I had exactly. Did you try the recommended solution of disabling fast start up?

I'm assuming you tried it on yours and it must not have worked or you would have said so. That is too bad. I hope you have found a solution to the problem, I know you said you are far away, but if you can be without the device for a few weeks, maybe MS will still honor their warranty. After all, they can't hold it against you if you are just on an "extended travel stay outside the United States" can they?

I did try it just in case but the solution seems to address the pending update that I'd never had... And though I do have an unidentified USB device, it's not the Marvell card itself, so my issue seems to be different.

The return procedure will be quite complex in my case but this may be the only option in the end. Though as of right now, I'm thinking of a replacement rather as I don't see a good alternative.

Kif

Sp4 will be a fantastic device, Sp3 sales have put the Surface brand in the black - it's challenging the status quo in notebook design, gaining massive popularity through the advertising and marketing campaigns and Microsoft know they have a real winner here.

I sincerely hope you're correct but those are some lofty expectations.

Kif

I'd rather be positive given that each generation has improved.

I agree but tablet's are a devices of compromised by definition. This is doubly true with the Surface Pro line since it's a two in one device. Maybe the SP4 will be a fanless device that is lighter and thinner and slightly less powerful or maybe if will have the same basic design with superior performance. Maybe the changes improve the battery life or maybe it doesn't. Maybe you like the changes or maybe you wished they focused on other areas of the design. Catch my drift?

As an example the SP2 outperforms the SP3 in many area's. However I much prefer the form factor of the SP3.