What's new

Competition from Dell?

leeshor

The link to Dell makes all the accessories look like options at the bottom, including the pen. Notice they are using the Surface as the standard for comparing it. Imitation and all that stuff.

malberttoo

I don't think I could go back to anything smaller than the SP3. The SP3 and my smartphone have met just about every need that I have in a device that I would spend serious money on. Also I really enjoyed with the SP3 not having to uninstall a bunch of crapware. Not saying this Dell will come loaded with junk. But the SP3 really has spoiled me for any other device, for a good long while. I will upgrade to the SP4 if it's worth it, but at this point, my eye is not wandering one bit. :D

10.8 inch, with worse resolution, bigger bezels, only 4gigs of ram, and 64/128 storage options, + the new, crappy Core M that performs worse than old Haswells = dead on arrival. Might be a competitor for Surface 2 though...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a 10.8 screen its a slightly bigger than an SP2 but weighs a little less, 1.6 pounds.
Dell: 1.6 pounds and 11.01 x 6.95 x .42 inches 10.8 screen
SP2: 2 pounds and 10.81 x 6.81 x .53 inches 10.6 screen.
Diff: - .4 pounds --- +.2 x +.14 x -.11 inches +.2

I would think the Core-M models would perform better than the previous i5 Y models of the Venue 11 Pro leaving the Atom Models at the low end. However, I noticed some articles comparing it to the Atom version. No doubt the Atom entries will get updated later after the 14nm Atom family (Braswell) is introduced.

Other Specs for reference:
The Intel Core M is available in either 2-GHz (Core M 5Y10a) or 2.6-GHz (Core M 5Y70) speeds.
Both have Intel HD Graphics 5300 processors at 800 or 850 MHZ
Doesn’t require active cooling (fanless)
Has a 10.8-inch, 1920 x 1080 display 16:9 with 10-point capacitive touch.
Includes a “thin” keyboard in the box.
full-size USB 3.0 port,
micro HDMI out,
microSD card reader *128gb max.
Combo mic/headphone jack.
A 2x2 Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 chip provides 802.11ac Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 4.0.
NFC
4 or 8 GB of RAM
64, 128 or 256GB of solid state storage.
Rear 8-MP camera
2-MP front-facing camera
Dell Active Stylus support
Noble Security Lock Slot
*Previous Models had 36Whr swappable battery (not confirmed for this model)
38whr battery reported (unconfirmed if its swappable)

Options:
A travel keyboard with better, more finger-friendly keys and additional battery that doubles life.
Docking station.
LTE mobile broadband
Dell Active Stylus

Last edited:

RémiM

Another strange, but very frequent, choice is to put a 8MP rear camera and only a 2MP front one.

In a tablet, they should at least put a decent front camera first. And then think about the rear one.

Very well done Microsoft for the two 5MP cameras.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the style of Dell's dock better than Microsoft's
The display is not as good... but... as a business device this looks like a winner. Tablet, laptop, deskstation all in one kit.

jake

Look like dell cheap junk If they want to compete with the sp3 they should spend more time and come up with a better design and lighter also resolved all the issue that Microsoft doesn't know how to fixed.

Mikeyqp

Hmmm.. I would love a stiff keyboard that has a hinge and an extra battery for my sp3. Though, for what I use my sp3 I don't need either lol. But who cares, I would buy one nonetheless :p