What's new

Best dual monitor docking station setup

Beau

Hey guys! I'm looking for the best dual monitor docking station setup. I don't want to use the mini displayport on the surface, I want only use the ports on the docking station. What adapters are you using to achieve this? I want to be able to just "dock" my surface and get dual monitors without having to plug cables in...

bluegrass

Can't. The docking station only has one mini-port adapter. Pretty much the standard dual monitor setup with the Surface is one monitor plugged into the Surface and one into the docking station. You can get a min display port to VGA, DVI, & HDMI to use with a variety of monitors. There have been a number of problems reported when using the MDP on the docking station but I have had good luck with Acer monitors using DVI interface with an adapter. The only other way to have both monitors plugged into the docking station would be to get a USB to video interface.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It depends on what your willing to buy and make sure its returnable in case of issues of which there are many.
IF you have or buy a DP 1.2 monitor you can daisy chain it to a second DP monitor. Displayport is finicky and not all devices work together and its sensitive to cables as well. DP 1.2 monitors have two ports one IN and one OUT.

MST Hubs seems to exacerbate already finicky DP issues from what I have read but people have gotten them to work, although not many.

Another option might be a USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA adapter off a Dock USB port.

Two identical DP 1.2 monitors that come with cables probably increases your chances of success. Mix n Match will lower your odds although it can be done with the right stuff.

Good Luck!

mtalinm

I have two monitors, one of which is the daisy-chainable type. works great.

if you don't have a daisy-chainable monitor, you could run the second from a USB displaylink-type setup. but it will chew up your CPU.

what is the aversion to using the DP on the dock and also on the sUrface? that was the whole point of this dock redesign, to give you access to both. I have a dock at home set up that way, and it works great.

ynohtna

FYI, I daisy chain 2x Dell U2413

I mini DP from Dock to 1 monitor then 1 dp to minidp cable to 2nd monitor.

I pop my sp3 into the dock and all the monitors wake up

zhenya

Just reporting that I got the Startech MSTMDP123DP Mini DisplayPort 1.2 hub, and off the docking station for my SP3 it seems to be working perfectly driving two 1920x1200 monitors with DVI adapters. I'll report back if any issues crop up, but so far I just plugged it in and everything is working.

Tsurugaya

I'm curious, isn't the mDP cable on that hub too short to make it usable? Seems like it would be hanging off the slate. I can see it working from the docking station but not directly on the tablet.

zhenya

Yes, it is extremely short. I don't intend on using it directly from the tablet, so it's ok, still it would be better if it was 6" longer so that it could more easily hang off the desk to hide the bundle of dock/displayport cables. My setup still allows this, but it means I can't easily pull the docking station closer to me if I want to. This seemed like one of the few relatively 'safe' choices out there though - and at least it doesn't require a displayport to mini-displayport adapter as well.

MadCruzer

FYI, I daisy chain 2x Dell U2413

I mini DP from Dock to 1 monitor then 1 dp to minidp cable to 2nd monitor.

I pop my sp3 into the dock and all the monitors wake up
I'll second this setup - we have it on a desk here for a salesperson with two U2414's and it works great. These monitors are nice too as long as 1080 is enough resolution for you, the thin bezel looks ok. They run around $250 ea. We didn't want the user fumbling with a second MDP connector when they docked.