What's new

System Firmware Update - 06/23/2015 - available now

RémiM

For those like me updating manually, there is a firmware update available today.

Hope it will give us more battery life and make this little device even better.

Enjoy.

EDIT - list of updates:

• Surface System Aggregator Firmware update (v1.0.49500.0) improves the experience while using the Surface Cover.
  • Audio Device driver update (v603.9600.2563.61816) enhances audio performance and improves the audio experience on Surface 3.
  • Surface Pen Settings driver update (v4.0.112.1) enables new functionality with the Surface app, available for free in the Windows Store.
  • Camera driver update (v20.9600.3444.120) enhances the image and video quality while using camera.
  • HD Graphics driver update (v10.18.14.4175) improves the display stability and graphics performance.
  • Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3091.193) improves the system stability and the Wi-Fi connectivity experience, also increases the network download performance

Last edited:

PaulJ333

The touchscreen also seems to work better after the update, which I installed automatically about an hour ago.

GNBrooks

I have tried to download it for more than a week. It never starts and never errors out. It also never downloads anything. I tried multiple browsers and even multiple machines.

wookieelord

I just purchased a Surface 3 online and awaiting its arrival. I had a question about Firmware and etc updates. Are these delivered through the Windows Update program for this particular device? I'm a pretty computer oriented person and the "support/drivers" for MS website it difficult to find. Esp since they don't typically sell hardware so it's not like a typical Dell/HP/Lenovo/MSI website for drivers and software.

malberttoo

I just purchased a Surface 3 online and awaiting its arrival. I had a question about Firmware and etc updates. Are these delivered through the Windows Update program for this particular device? I'm a pretty computer oriented person and the "support/drivers" for MS website it difficult to find. Esp since they don't typically sell hardware so it's not like a typical Dell/HP/Lenovo/MSI website for drivers and software.

Yes, firmware is delivered through Windows Update. :)

Umer Ranjha

My WiFi tanked on the 5ghz band after this, had to roll back to a WiFi driver dated 3/3.

Same happened to me too. wifi completely tanked, constant connection freezes and had to disconnect/turn on airplane mode and then re-establish connect. Eventually, I had to roll back the wifi drivers. Horrible...not impressed!!

netuser

Yes, firmware is delivered through Windows Update. :)

Are these considered normal Windows updates or are the firmware updates considered driver updates?
If the firmware updates are categorized as drivers, many organizations will not see them as it is common for them to disable driver category updates through WSUS and get supported drivers through the manufacturer instead.