What's new

Windows 7 home to 10 pro

Kris

I just noticed on my desktop that it says I am running Windows 10 Pro. I started off with Windows 7 home, registered, upgraded to insider 10162. I then had to do a clean install of 10162 and upgraded to 10240. Of course now upgraded to RTM and it gave me a Pro version instead of a Home version. Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe a perk of being an insider?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. I had 8.1 home on my S3 and despite taking numerous routes to end up with win 10 on it during the insider program, it's sat on win 10 home

OP
K

Kris

Hmm wonder what I did wrong or right for it to happen... Grateful that it did, though not entirely sure what I get out of having pro vs home. Anyone else out there get lucky? Um with Windows...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
A Surface Pro had Windows 8 Pro / Windows 8.1 Pro bundled.
Pro upgrades to Pro.

So Windows 8.1 Pro becomes Windows 10 Pro.
The "Pro" in Surface Pro decided your fate.

Bandit

Saw this on Windows Weekly today. The first insider versions were only Pro. If you did an in-place upgrade from a valid version of 7 or 8.1 Home you got 10 Pro. As long as you didn't restore your system back to the original Home OS you got to keep Pro when the RTM version came out.

OP
K

Kris

Saw this on Windows Weekly today. The first insider versions were only Pro. If you did an in-place upgrade from a valid version of 7 or 8.1 Home you got 10 Pro. As long as you didn't restore your system back to the original Home OS you got to keep Pro when the RTM version came out.
Well bad ass happy to get Pro, and people were saying we got nothing out of being insiders...

OP
K

Kris

Is there any way to tell if I did actually get the real RTM? I ran winver but of course it just tells me version 10240, same thing my SP3 tells me