What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way I see it, best method for testing the preview is:

1. Create recovery USB on 8.1
2. Use File History to create a full system image
3. Upgrade to Win 10

Then when you have issues, rollback to 8.1, then use advanced boot to restore your full image of your 8.1 build - getting rid of broken apps, settings, e.t.c. and everything will be just as you left it.

Exactly what I did, because Win 10 just isn't ready for me yet.

I use Macrium Reflect and a WinPE boot USB. Had a full 8.1 .rimg walking into 10 TP and used that to restore to where I was in about an hour. Re-flashing's no big deal, but I really hate the hours it takes me to re-install and configure all my apps. The preceding coupled with all my data being on the microSDHC (excluding VMs) and I'm back on 8.1 in an hour's time with my apps and data right where I left off.

My interest was the scaling on multiple monitors and 9926 nor any previous build has addressed that yet. That, coupled with the bluetooth issues was enough to wave me off. Will put TP back into a VM and ride it out from there.

I just really would like to know why one would even want to keep MUI apps around if they're "windowed" anyway... Is that like a vegan burger or an honest politician? I mean... I thought that was one of the whole flippin' points behind them in the first place...do one thing at a time and do it in a way that worked on a touch driven interface... Why can't they just give us the option? How about for those that insist on walking around with a Logitech Mouseman or the like...they get "windowed" apps and for the rest of us who can stand change without losing our minds...we get to keep our full screen apps. What's so hard about that?

What on earth is wrong with Microsoft, the ability to set different scaling options on different resolution monitors is a mandatory feature, especially for the many high resolution devices shipping now. This is the single most annoying shortcoming of my Surface Pro 3, something that I couldn't believe was within a shipping "premium" product.

Has anyone seen anything official from Microsoft that they plan to resolve this? I hope so, I can wait, however can't wait beyond the consumer release of Windows 10.

Perhaps before worrying about features like HoloLens, get this fundamental capability sorted.

Also I can't believe that the tech press haven't focused on this oversight, the glowing praise for the recent Windows 10 is almost Apple like (I use and love both Windows and OS X)......not one mention that I've seen (also Google shows no posts on this).

(sorry for the rant, however I'm more than willing to put-up with bugs in a technical preview to get this feature)

I just really would like to know why one would even want to keep MUI apps around if they're "windowed" anyway... Is that like a vegan burger or an honest politician? I mean... I thought that was one of the whole flippin' points behind them in the first place...do one thing at a time and do it in a way that worked on a touch driven interface... Why can't they just give us the option? How about for those that insist on walking around with a Logitech Mouseman or the like...they get "windowed" apps and for the rest of us who can stand change without losing our minds...we get to keep our full screen apps. What's so hard about that?

Windowed or non windowed has no real bearing on me, in my my mind the whole purpose of mui apps is for touch input, so a gui designed around big and easy to hit buttons etc, being full screen or windowed is irrelevant so long as i can hit ehat i need to. Take MUI IE as an example, in,ike it because it is touch friendly, but i want to be able to have a calculator, and maybe music bee, and this and that running alongside without being constrained to the awful snap method found in 8.1

And just remember, they changed it for a reason, because the majority of feedback said to hell with only being able to run MUI apps in full screen, and also to try and bridge the gap between desktop and start screen. Theyre trying to make the two more integrated instead of having what felt like two separate OS's

Here's the thing which mystifies me about Windows 10. Other than a different look, it's not THAT different. That's why it seems strange to me that this release is so broken and buggy. I mean having video drivers which don't even deliver a smooth experience is simply inexcusable at this point.

On the surprising point, rolling back to 8.1 using the included utility is very fast and easy. Took maybe 5 minutes. I was surprised. As a matter of fact, getting rid of Windows 10 is the thing Windows 10 does best so far. :)

I'll keep checking it out when new releases come along (since going back is so easy) but right now just not workable for me.

So who did the upgrade (not clean install) of WP10 - did it work out OK? I've got my adobe apps installed, office, 3rd party stuff, etc. - and I thought I read for the most part it's an in-place upgrade.

Just picked up the Pro 3 this week - everything configured, etc. that I need. I was going to back it up/image it today and figured I'd try to run with WP10 as long as possible to see how it worked out. thought about testing W10 TP and the multi-monitor dpi scaling (I believe I read it now works correctly). I have it in a VM on my work machine and it runs 'OK' - but there's Surface/touch features I'd like to test it out with.

I did the upgrade from a clean install of Win 8.1 (ie. I backed up all my data, formated my Win 8.1, did all the updates on the new install and then upgraded to 10 TP 9926).

It's working perfectly, and I am using it as my primary OS. I didn't change my Intel driver, because folks from MS twitted that it was a bad idea.

Despite this, so far I LOVE win 10. For what it is, a technical preview, it's a great software. It still needs some fine tunning here and there, but it's far from being an alpha version.

I am also coming from Linux, still using and loving it everyday, so my opinion is probably biased. I am very used to drivers problems, kernel problems and solving them the hard way -- with a terminal and command lines.

If I were you, I would wait the first consumer preview. Why ? Because Win8.1 is a rock solid software and it's the best way yet to really enjoy seamlessly the SP3.

So who did the upgrade (not clean install) of WP10 - did it work out OK? I've got my adobe apps installed, office, 3rd party stuff, etc. - and I thought I read for the most part it's an in-place upgrade.

Just picked up the Pro 3 this week - everything configured, etc. that I need. I was going to back it up/image it today and figured I'd try to run with WP10 as long as possible to see how it worked out. thought about testing W10 TP and the multi-monitor dpi scaling (I believe I read it now works correctly). I have it in a VM on my work machine and it runs 'OK' - but there's Surface/touch features I'd like to test it out with.

I recommend waiting. It's pretty buggy at this point and 8.1 is super smooth.

What on earth is wrong with Microsoft, the ability to set different scaling options on different resolution monitors is a mandatory feature, especially for the many high resolution devices shipping now. This is the single most annoying shortcoming of my Surface Pro 3, something that I couldn't believe was within a shipping "premium" product.

Has anyone seen anything official from Microsoft that they plan to resolve this? I hope so, I can wait, however can't wait beyond the consumer release of Windows 10.

Perhaps before worrying about features like HoloLens, get this fundamental capability sorted.

Also I can't believe that the tech press haven't focused on this oversight, the glowing praise for the recent Windows 10 is almost Apple like (I use and love both Windows and OS X)......not one mention that I've seen (also Google shows no posts on this).

(sorry for the rant, however I'm more than willing to put-up with bugs in a technical preview to get this feature)

Lol, MS has been promising this is "right around the corner" since the first Surface Pro was released. In other words, don't hold your breath. MS's development cycle is SLOW. Ignore their promises. Meaningless.

The scaling algorithm is much improved over Windows 10 and as the previews have progressed we've seen more of the old legacy GDI based code being replaced (not fully) with MUI versions - Settings is a prime example. I know that the Windows team has alluded to some fundamental issues in implementing independent scaling. I would set expectations around the improved algorithm unless something drastically changes.

I have SP3 i5 256 and have tested upgrade from 8.1 and clean install. No wake up or wifi problems.
The lack of consistency (across the SP3 of course) is a little frustrating! For what it's worth - undocking and then re-docking "fixes" the black screen on wake (versus having to hard reboot.) I've had to do it twice this morning already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back