What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the recent update mentioned a page or two back, ive not been encountering any of my previous issues with 9926 (fingers crossed)

I just really would like to know why one would even want to keep MUI apps around if they're "windowed" anyway... Is that like a vegan burger or an honest politician? I mean... I thought that was one of the whole flippin' points behind them in the first place...do one thing at a time and do it in a way that worked on a touch driven interface... Why can't they just give us the option? How about for those that insist on walking around with a Logitech Mouseman or the like...they get "windowed" apps and for the rest of us who can stand change without losing our minds...we get to keep our full screen apps. What's so hard about that?

But isn't that what MS is doing? Giving us the option? I use my SP3 docked and driving an external monitor, keyboard, mouse as much as I use my SP3 as a tablet. I skipped all the builds prior to 9926 because I was waiting on Continuum. Speaking for myself – I can’t think of anything better than my SP3 acting more as a desktop while docked (which means no full screen MUI apps, or least the option not to) and then having all those windowed MUI apps going full screen when I’m laid out on the couch in “tablet mode.”

Also the MUI provides a means for more casual programmers to create apps, a good thing for users and for Microsoft.

Having been back on 8.1 for a day now I can honestly state that in my opinion, W10 in its current state is not ready as a daily driver. It's fun to look at and try the new features but to actually use on a daily basis, well not for me anyway. I am surprised given how long MS has had with this that W10's first "new look" technical release isn't better developed. It feels more like a poorly skinned 8.1 that was sort of thrown together as a proof of concept than a shiny new OS closing in on a Consumer Preview. I actually believe that referring to W10 in it's current state as a beta is generous. For me it is barely scratching on alpha. Things like the pathetically inadequate video driver simply should not exist in a public preview this far along in the development cycle. In some ways, W10 is less intuitive for the neophyte user than 8.1 was.

The best part about W10 is how easy it is to remove it from your computer and return to 8.1. That means as new builds arrive I can give 'em a flash and see what's up, then within 10 minutes be back to work in 8.1.

I expected more but having been a MS customer for decades now, I'm not sure why.

P.S., Honestly MS, what do y0u have against the HD Control Center? If you are going to force us SP3 users to forgo it, how about replacing it with something similar? The fact you delete a wildly popular feature and basically tell us to screw ourselves because you know best is annoying and so you. GIVE THE CONSUMER CHOICES.

Why do you consider the video driver as pathetically inadequate? Might not have the hd control panel, but that aside the driver is doing everything i need as an "office" user, rather thenkind of use the OS is currently aimed at. (its cerainlynnot a consumer preview though as had been promised )

Why do you consider the video driver as pathetically inadequate? Might not have the hd control panel, but that aside the driver is doing everything i need as an "office" user, rather thenkind of use the OS is currently aimed at. (its cerainlynnot a consumer preview though as had been promised )

Well everyone seems to be having a different experience but for me I was getting terrible scrolling stutter, screen flashes and general lag as well as my fan blowing full blast even though my computer was basically doing nothing. Even screen transitions were stuttery and generally weird. Others have experienced the same. Smooth as butter on the Intel drivers.

Well everyone seems to be having a different experience but for me I was getting terrible scrolling stutter, screen flashes and general lag as well as my fan blowing full blast even though my computer was basically doing nothing. Even screen transitions were stuttery and generally weird. Others have experienced the same. Smooth as butter on the Intel drivers.

This seems to be the key issue right now. 100 different experiences all from the same device. Im on stock vga drivers and since that last update, i no longer experience any issues like you describe.

"100 different experiences all from the same device." The Surface is not like an iPad. With the Surface, you have a 100 different ways to configure them, so you're likely going to see a 100 different problems. Microsoft's OS is much more open then Apple. Window 10 Preview which is bound to have a lot of bugs. In most cases, W10P is probably not the best choice for people who tend not to be patient with problems and changes.

"100 different experiences all from the same device." The Surface is not like an iPad. With the Surface, you have a 100 different ways to configure them, so you're likely going to see a 100 different problems. Microsoft's OS is much more open then Apple. Window 10 Preview which is bound to have a lot of bugs. In most cases, W10P is probably not the best choice for people who tend not to be patient with problems and changes.

All comes down to drivers and the registry, the latter of which is, of course, different from one machine to the next.

And yet 2 fresh installs on the exact same device experience no issues, and many issues. Before things start getting configured

Just downloaded a new Intel HD driver that, while it doesn't provide the control panel, no longer crashes when running YouTube video in IE (haven't drive anything else yet). Also saw a firmware update listed for 1/27/2015, but it wouldn't install (along with build 9933, which is still showing up).

Seems like at least a little bit of improvement.

In my case it did install the firmware update. Driver seems better. It works with YouTube and Netflix now, but it is running hotter than on the August one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back