What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
@hughlle , I had multiple crashes of IE while OneDrive and the Microsoft Store Beta were doing their initial synchronization. When those completed, performance and speed actually seem better than Build 9879. I was actually trying to get some work done during the update, since this is my production machine. o_O
This is 9879.

wynand32

Yes, the build has the SP3 drivers integrated.
Perhaps my good experience so far was that I chose to do the update, then immediately Refresh. I think that gave me a close-to-clean install.

(Then I rolled back the video driver.)

Okay, thanks. I actually did exactly what you describe: factory restored my SP3, updated it with the relevant Win8.1 updates (seemed like a good idea), and then installed from the ISO over that.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do a clean install from the ISO, just to see the difference. I think at the very least I'll get the new version of modern OneNote, which I'd like to take a look at.

wynand32

@hughlle , I had multiple crashes of IE while OneDrive and the Microsoft Store Beta were doing their initial synchronization. When those completed, performance and speed actually seem better than Build 9879. I was actually trying to get some work done during the update, since this is my production machine. o_O

Is your IE crashing when playing YouTube videos? That and the inability to connect to my WD MyCloud Mirror NAS are the primary buzzkills.

wynand32

Let me add that as problematic as 9926 has been on my SP3, it's a horrid hot mess on my Dell Venue 8 Pro. The V8P got downright confused as to what kind of machine it's supposed to be--you'd think it would default to tablet mode, but nope. And, it seemed sort of stuck between the two modes, with some things from each just not working. And it was laggy and non-responsive and just horrible, and OneDrive got confused between the existing OneDrive folder and what it thought it needed to sync. Fortunately, the roll-back functionality worked fine as far as I can tell.

rkz

Installed over 8.1 while in docking station. Seemed fine till I undocked...

UPDATE The drivers using methods given in this thread. I had the same problem but was lucky enough to have a docking station so when docked did not have problem. Not sure what you can do if you do not have that.

You are the best. The graphics worked fine while docked.
I installed a bunch of updates. Restarted 3 or 4 times during the process, restarted again but without being docked, and now everything is pretty good. Note that I do have my Smart Cover keyboard attached if it makes any difference to anyone.
I am using graphics driver 10.18.15.4079 from 1/15/15 and it seems stable. IE crashes sometimes when I close out a tab but generally can navigate about the computer well while undocked. I'll keep exploring.

Again, this is an in place upgrade from windows 8.1.

rkz

Should we use the old windows store app or the new one? Or, rather how do we update apps? Is that now outside of windows store?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is your IE crashing when playing YouTube videos? That and the inability to connect to my WD MyCloud Mirror NAS are the primary buzzkills.

Pretty much anything with flash content it seems. Youtube, bbc news video, wikipedia IE is now completely unusable. Having to use chrome for the time being which works just fine. But maybe its just videos and video ads, no problem with this site with ads displayed. This is the old build, not the new release, however i did get a hardware update for it today thwt caused this (dated from the 22nd)

mitchellvii

Strangely my SP3 runs quiet and cool until I detach it from the keyboard and surf the web in "tablet mode" while also in portrait. The fan goes nuts and it gets very hot fast. Weird that it would choose "tablet mode" to overheat.

GTiceman

I keep getting blue screens and it doesn't seem to matter which video driver. I came from 8.1 straight to this. My HTPC is running fine.

matti.laitala

The Netflix and Hulu apps seem to run very well in this build.
I have Surface 3, I made update from 8.1, but chose not to keep anything from previous Windows installation. Netflix wont play anything( it says "There is a problem with the media element that is preventing playback." Error W8157-C00D717F),also IE crash if try to play video, tested few sites, nothing works on Youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.