What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristle Cone

Installed over 8.1 while in docking station. Seemed fine till I undocked...
Did in place upgrade from 8.1 and the screen keeps going black periodically (to cursor) and back to normal. Happens 5 times then restarts :-/

UPDATE The drivers using methods given in this thread. I had the same problem but was lucky enough to have a docking station so when docked did not have problem. Not sure what you can do if you do not have that.

Reactions: rkz

rkz

@bristle I have a docking station at work. Will have to give this a try...unfortunately I don't have a bit locker key so I can't boot into safe mode. What's with MS automatically encrypting but not telling me.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well having installed hardware update - 22/01/2015 (for build 9879), all flash/video content causes IE to stop expectantly. Although it's the first time i've seen this popup, which usually once the green bar finishes, closes, just causes the offending tab to reload after the popup vanishes, any other tabs remain as they were, the application doesn't restart. Chrome has no issues.

whitlecj

How is everyone's battery life? I installed late last night and have been using it for a couple of hours today. Seems to be quite a bit worse than 8.1 but it may need to some time to settle in.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
How is everyone's battery life? I installed late last night and have been using it for a couple of hours today. Seems to be quite a bit worse than 8.1 but it may need to some time to settle in.

My battery life does indeed seem worse. But after rolling back the video driver, it might be better...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is one of the known issues in this build. We saw the same thing when Cortana was released on Phone 8.1 update 1, with some subsequent updates battery life returned to normal.

wynand32

I think so many people are having different experiences with this build because they are installing it on top of their prior build with god knows what on it. Best way to get best result is clean install of the ISO.

Alrighty, so, a question: does this build have the SP3 drivers already integrated? Or do we need to apply the SP3 driver pack after a clean install as with the first Win10 build(s)?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Alrighty, so, a question: does this build have the SP3 drivers already integrated? Or do we need to apply the SP3 driver pack after a clean install as with the first Win10 build(s)?
All my drivers where installed and the Video Card was updated with the first Windows Update....

The Windows Team is using the Surface Pro 3 has the primary device for building Windows 10...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, the build has the SP3 drivers integrated.
Perhaps my good experience so far was that I chose to do the update, then immediately Refresh. I think that gave me a close-to-clean install.

(Then I rolled back the video driver.)

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
So now even loading up a wiki page in the background is causing IE to crash.

@hughlle , I had multiple crashes of IE while OneDrive and the Microsoft Store Beta were doing their initial synchronization. When those completed, performance and speed actually seem better than Build 9879. I was actually trying to get some work done during the update, since this is my production machine. o_O

smar

So now even loading up a wiki page in the background is causing IE to crash.

My IE was crashing just on starting it (i.e. loading the Bing search page). I ended up starting IE in safe mode, and then disabling all the add-ins. This seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.