What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or free guinea pigs to test their software for free...

Lol well yes, maybe some of that too. :) But I also think that we have had a lot to do with actually shaping many of the decisions that have gone into Win 10, and I find that a refreshing change.

Lol well yes, maybe some of that too. :) But I also think that we have had a lot to do with actually shaping many of the decisions that have gone into Win 10, and I find that a refreshing change.
Something that didn't happen with Windows 8.

They have been saying for a while now it would be ongoing and you have the option of staying in the program or just going to the RTM version by verifying the existence of a valid previous Windows installation

Well, I just ran into a boo boo. I can't open OneNote in 10162. I get an error dialog box that says, "Sorry, something went wrong. We were unable to sign you in. Please try again later." along with a "Try again" button, which doesn't do anything.

Had that right after 162 install. I used my force remove script, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled from app store and it was golden.

After a bit of help - sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've completed a fresh install on my surface pro 3 of 8.1 and run all of the updates. I've tried to update to Windows 10 via the installer but it doesn't show up. Any thoughts? Shall I just install via an ISO?

After a bit of help - sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've completed a fresh install on my surface pro 3 of 8.1 and run all of the updates. I've tried to update to Windows 10 via the installer but it doesn't show up. Any thoughts? Shall I just install via an ISO?

If I understand correctly, you've restored back to Windows 8.1 and now want to install Windows 10 via the Insiders program. If so, then yes you can install via ISO, or you can go to https://insider.windows.com/, login, and kick off the Windows 10 installation from there. If you do the latter, you'll get whatever is being served up initially (10162, I think, since that's going to the Slow ring now).

If you mean you've tried running the Windows Insider install from the site linked above and it's not installing, then I'm not sure what's going on. I know that I've had to try a couple of times myself in the past before it finally "took."

Thanks for this. Yes - I've tried the link for 3 days and nothing happens. I'll try the ISO route. I'm looking forward to giving Windows 10 a whirl.

If I understand correctly, you've restored back to Windows 8.1 and now want to install Windows 10 via the Insiders program. If so, then yes you can install via ISO, or you can go to https://insider.windows.com/, login, and kick off the Windows 10 installation from there. If you do the latter, you'll get whatever is being served up initially (10162, I think, since that's going to the Slow ring now).

If you mean you've tried running the Windows Insider install from the site linked above and it's not installing, then I'm not sure what's going on. I know that I've had to try a couple of times myself in the past before it finally "took."

True, most get the update right away, some take a lot longer, days sometimes. No rhyme or reason that I have seen.

Just keep hitting Check for Updates, maybe throw in an occasional reboot. Or like was said, use the ISO.

I have 2 systems that won't automatically apply the updates. I check, it says it's there and says it needs to restart but the only way the updates install is if I allow the system to restart when it's ready. Very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back