What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

Damn same site I got mine from and I need the pen, use it in OneNote a lot. Wonder why it works for you and goes totally FUBAR on me. Does the pen totally not work? Two side buttons or top button?

I upgraded from 8.1 with a clean install. Maybe that made a difference? I also did a full hard core wipe of my SSD prior to installing 8.1. Perhaps you have some 10074/10122 giblets left over causing some issues? I also install from an external HDD as opposed to installing from the SSD. Maybe this makes a difference. Guessing at this point.

The pen may be fixable or just one of those weird, "it's only broken on my machine" things. Regardless, 10125 is the first build that has given me hope that W10 will be awesome.

One other thing. Apps of all kinds seem to open very quickly in this build. My Office apps are particularly enthusiastic.

Update - The non-functioning pen is odd. It shows up in the Device Manager as functioning and bluetooth is connected yet the screen does not seem to recognize it at all. Oh well.

Chrome blazes in this build. Market is a little laggy.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

I see Microsoft announced the are making Cortana for Mac and Android too.

WTF they can't even get it working in their own operating system and they are spending resources making it for Mac and Android == their competition?

God I wish there was a real computer outfit besides Microsoft and Apple DOES NOT qualify nor does Android === Android is fine for phone and tablets perhaps but not for desktop machines.

EMINENT

I've tried clean iso installs of both 10122 and 10125 on the SP3, and they both have the black screen of death, buggy start screens and disappearing picture passwords, etc. The disappearing or black picture passwords also happen on my desktop on 10122 which was done as an upgrade only.

wynand32

I see Microsoft announced the are making Cortana for Mac and Android too.

WTF they can't even get it working in their own operating system and they are spending resources making it for Mac and Android == their competition?

God I wish there was a real computer outfit besides Microsoft and Apple DOES NOT qualify nor does Android === Android is fine for phone and tablets perhaps but not for desktop machines.

Well, in all fairness to Microsoft, I'm guessing it's much easier to make an app that simply calls into Cortana rather than baking it into an OS that never had it before. Cortana is proven technology--she works quite well in Windows Phone, so the machine intelligence backend is there. But Windows has never had anything like Cortana, and Microsoft is connecting Cortana to every relevant thing, thus I'm not at all surprised it's not stable yet.

The bottom line: Cortana in iOS and Android won't have those deep hooks into the OS that will make it far more useful in Windows 10. It'll be much more like Google Now in iOS, and that's nowhere near Google Now in Android. Note as well that Apple hasn't added Siri into OS X, and I'm sure it's not because they don't want to.

Regarding iOS/OS X and Android being the competition and so why is Microsoft putting Cortana there, that's another discussion entirely. I talk about it at length in a few posts on my blog, but the way I see it is that Microsoft has no choice but to go completely cross-platform. It's not what we Windows fans want to think about, but Microsoft can't continue on as the "Windows" company and have much chance of success. They're turning themselves into a productivity solutions company supporting all platforms, which is by far their best bet. The bottom line is that they're happy to see people using Cortana (and Office, and Azure, and Dynamics, and OneDrive, and Music & Video, and etc.) no matter what device they're carrying.

mitchellvii

I've tried clean iso installs of both 10122 and 10125 on the SP3, and they both have the black screen of death, buggy start screens and disappearing picture passwords, etc. The disappearing or black picture passwords also happen on my desktop on 10122 which was done as an upgrade only.

Did you do a full deep wipe down to the bone first? My deep wipe > 8.1 > 10125 went flawlessly.

Update - The non-functioning pen is odd. It shows up in the Device Manager as functioning and bluetooth is connected yet the screen does not seem to recognize it at all. Oh well.

Note that the Bluetooth on the pen is for the pushbutton only. The pen nib is controlled by the HID-compliant pen driver under Human Interface Devices, not the Surface Pen under HID or Bluetooth. It appears that this is a low level OS driver (it's version number is the same as the OS) which could explain why it stopped working on 10125. It may be that this leaked build was not built correctly for SP3.

mitchellvii

Note that the Bluetooth on the pen is for the pushbutton only. The pen nib is controlled by the HID-compliant pen driver under Human Interface Devices, not the Surface Pen under HID or Bluetooth. It appears that this is a low level OS driver (it's version number is the same as the OS) which could explain why it stopped working on 10125. It may be that this leaked build was not built correctly for SP3.

Could be. All of the drivers appear in the HID for the pen and say they are functioning properly but clearly are not. Interesting that if I try to unclick the "Allow power management to turn off this device" the system crashes. Anyway, who knows, barely use pen anyway.

Turbo Brian

I upgraded from 8.1 with a clean install. Maybe that made a difference? I also did a full hard core wipe of my SSD prior to installing 8.1. Perhaps you have some 10074/10122 giblets left over causing some issues? I also install from an external HDD as opposed to installing from the SSD. Maybe this makes a difference. Guessing at this point.

The pen may be fixable or just one of those weird, "it's only broken on my machine" things. Regardless, 10125 is the first build that has given me hope that W10 will be awesome.

One other thing. Apps of all kinds seem to open very quickly in this build. My Office apps are particularly enthusiastic.

Chrome blazes in this build. Market is a little laggy.
I just loaded 10125 on my spectre x360 and it is way better than 10122 was. no more wake up lag, no more softkeyboard glitching, no more random apps opening upon wakeup, no more youtube locking up chrome, youtube full screen is actually fullscreen in spartan. much smoother overall. the small window issue is a tad annoying but given what was fixed, i can live with that until a new build comes in. dont have the active pen for this yet (fedex says ill have it tomorrow) so no idea how that will go; it is a synamptics rather than ntrig though. Haven tried this on my SP3 yet but may give it a shot given the improvements ive seen on this device. SP3 got parked due to 10122's overall glitchines. may even throw it on my gaming rig. though i think most of its issues have been crappy win10 nvidia drivers.

Kris

Just did the upgrade to 10125 and lost Wireless... Windows site won't let me download anything surface related from my desktop to try and fix it and can't find a 3rd party site with any drivers

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Running 10125 smoothly. Pen works. Inking is good. WiFi great. No wireless problems here. Snappy.
Continuing testing...

Screenshot (2).png

I just downloaded a bunch of updates for 10122:
Security Update for Windows 10 Insider Preview May Update for x64-based Systems (KB3067515)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows 10 Insider Preview May Update for x64-based Systems (KB3049563)
Security Update for Windows 10 Insider Preview May Update for x64-based Systems (KB3046002)
Update for Windows 10 Insider Preview May Update for x64-based Systems (KB3066096)

FYI MS built 10130 on 5/22 and has been doing significant testing on it since then. For the last couple of builds there was a flurry of updates the day before the build release, so I am hopeful we will see 10130 soon.

Charlie

EMINENT

Did you do a full deep wipe down to the bone first? My deep wipe > 8.1 > 10125 went flawlessly.

Yes, at install I formatted the primary partition it was going on.and started as new. No backup. Does this count?

Are you not getting black picture passwords? I am using one from my one of my synced Onedrive folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.