What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found that part interesting, "i've no time for something silly like cortana." I used to think the same thing about all of them, Cortana, Siri, and Google Now. After using them for awhile, however, I think it's the future of computing. There's so much machine intelligence being developed that feed those systems that it'll not be too long before they start becoming _really_ useful. Even now, I'm finding uses for them that I never expected, even simple stuff like asking Siri when a restaurant is open and from that single question getting tons of useful information.

I think Cortana is the dark horse in Windows 10. By the time it rolls out, that's going to be a huge advantage that nobody else has. Apple will regret failing to roll Siri into OS X (and are probably working feverishly to do so know) because Cortana is going to offer some real advantages in how it access information throughout the OS. In my opinion, Microsoft should be doing as much as possible to bake Cortana everywhere into the OS (and Office). It'll pay real dividends eventually.

I don't deny it will be useful to most people, but just not me. I've had google now for yonks, used it as much as i could, never saw a reason to continue using it. It just isn't that much effort for me to do the search myself. Same goes for voice dictation. I know i could just input a to-do list into google keep using voice, and it is remarkably accurate, but i just never see the need, it only takes a minute to do it by hand. It is worth mentioning that i live the kind of lifestyle which really negates ay need for this kind of thing though. I am never in such a rush as to not be able to sit down and leisurely research what i want to research. In the same way that i will refuse to pay £1.50 to get on a bus when i can just do the 30 minute walk for free, i'm in no rush, why bother. But from the day siri came out on ios, and everyone was running around using it, i never saw one justified use for it for me. As much as i love technology, i hate the way it is used these days. It's turning us into lazy detatched expletives. Even my gf will sit next to me on the train and just pull out her phone, i might as well have just stayed at home! I like to make the time in my life to just enjoy things at a leisurely pace (so naturally i live in the hustle and bustle of London).

It's also worth baring in mind that while i have internet at my parents house, i do not have internet at my own flat in London, and a miniscule mobile data allowance (basically solely for viber and htc blinkfeed while in the lavatory) so these internet-based things are of literally no use to me.

Haldi

This happened sporadically, now in 10122 it happens all the time. Also the issue I have is for some reason my systems do not see my Server 2012 R2 shares or the server listed in Network, but manually entering \\Servername usually connects; which isn't happening in this build.

I've had the same problem at first, you can access the files without problem when you enter the IP adress instead.
Might be a DNS releated problem? no idea what i did, but it's working fine for me now.

Desktop2.jpg

P.S Picture unrelated... just trying to compete with sharpcolorado for desktop backgrounds :p
P.P.S yeah i admit, that's my home PC and not Surface :(

Last edited:

GTiceman

I've had the same problem at first, you can access the files without problem when you enter the IP adress instead.
Might be a DNS releated problem? no idea what i did, but it's working fine for me now.

View attachment 6182

P.S Picture unrelated... just trying to compete with sharpcolorado for desktop backgrounds [emoji14]
P.P.S yeah i admit, that's my home PC and not Surface :(
IP didn't work either. I remapped the shares on the SP3 and access came back

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anybody else not like the new Mail app? The last couple updates it's changed, and not for the better.
I only use it for gmail, and for some reason it created an "Outlook" account that seems tied to my MS id that has no email.
I can't figure out how to get it to automatically download the entire email. The download link is at the bottom of the email so you start to read it, then it ends and you have to click download, then it pops up to the top.

Also, having the delete button on the right side made it easy to run through email while in tablet mode. Now it's at the top.

Looks a little better, but that's about it.

I actually really like the app. Possibly because i'm a very causal user, i might send 1 email a week and read even less as i tend to pick them up on my phone before i do my surface.

I am also a bit confused by this outlook account. The surface knows my MS account is a google email, so why would it create an outlook account that does not work, without any ability to delete it. Never used to be like that.

rkz

Can anybody tell me the number of the latest graphics driver? I have 10.18.15.4204 but I think there was a newer one, no?

Kris

Lost the ability to use homegroup or any other form of networking, with build 10074 and 10122. Trying to and go back to Windows 8 and see if it works but boot usb, downloaded from MS, just gets stuck in a loop. Anyone know where I can download an ISO?
Edit: got Windows 8 back on

Last edited:

Sanjay

After all the trouble it took to get this build installed, it has turned out to be the most problematic one so far. There is a long list of issues that this build has introduced. It is so bad, that for the first time I am thinking of rolling back to build 10074. I really don't understand how a new build ends up screwing so much that was working fine before.
1. Loses WiFi connection on wake up. Have to restart to get WiFi back
2. Battery life is absolutely pathetic
3. Constant spinning circle on restart
4. SP3 heats up like never before
5. Once screen turns off, turning it back on takes forever to load the lockscreen.
6. After entering PIN it takes much longer to get to desktop
7. System firmware update 5/14/2015 keeps failing to install.
8. System firmware update 5/14/2015 finally installs (installed twice now) but still keeps reappearing
9. Failure of updates to install has become common
10. Get's stuck on shutting down too. End up having to use 'power' + 'volume' to restart
11. Restart is also extremely slow.

bender

I get an error on windows update => 0x8024401c

edit:

I've found the problem, the wifi connection is it! Only 4Mbps... wtf? Is there a problem with wifi interface driver or some issue with wifi?

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
After all the trouble it took to get this build installed, it has turned out to be the most problematic one so far. There is a long list of issues that this build has introduced. It is so bad, that for the first time I am thinking of rolling back to build 10074. I really don't understand how a new build ends up screwing so much that was working fine before.
1. Loses WiFi connection on wake up. Have to restart to get WiFi back
2. Battery life is absolutely pathetic
3. Constant spinning circle on restart
4. SP3 heats up like never before
5. Once screen turns off, turning it back on takes forever to load the lockscreen.
6. After entering PIN it takes much longer to get to desktop
7. System firmware update 5/14/2015 keeps failing to install.
8. System firmware update 5/14/2015 finally installs (installed twice now) but still keeps reappearing
9. Failure of updates to install has become common
10. Get's stuck on shutting down too. End up having to use 'power' + 'volume' to restart
11. Restart is also extremely slow.

Did you do an update route using the fixes, or a clean install with 10074 and then update to 10122? I do not have any one of these problems (granted it took me a while to get the thing working). Other than my external display issue mine is better than any release to date. rock solid.

Out of curiosity, why do you power down with the power button and the volume button? all you have to do is hold the power button just like any computer or tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.