What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

Anybody get Adobe Reader DC working on 10 by any chance? Keep getting a memory error.
Sad to say I had the same issue and had to do a clean install to get it working, can always try SumatraPDF if you are just viewing them and not editing.

Also, it may not be the case, but i would be surprised if MS didn't try and have the sp4 launch and win 10 launch coincide. I imagine the last thing they want is to launch the sp4 and then a month after new owners have gotten used to it, flip their operating system and experience upside down with an upgrade to 10.....

I believe that the SP4 will come out later, MS has already announced that they are going to stagger Windows 10 releases. Starting with Desktops and working down to phones and tablets. Just my guess since seeing how well 10122 works on my desktop and how craptasticly it works on my SP3

wynand32

Thought I'd report back after using Win8.1 for a day after so much time on Win10.

The good: Wow, so THAT'S what the SP3 is suppose to act like. From picture login working without issue, to sleep/hibernate actually _working_, to real snappiness, to the fan only running when the machine is actually doing something important, Win8.1 is such a stable OS on the SP3. I now remember why I liked the SP3 so much when I first purchased it (and when some of the initial kinks were worked out): it's a very nice-running system. The most recent official Intel HD drivers for Win8.1 even have the deep black levels that make such a huge difference in darker video (read, Daredevil on Netflix). More than anything, going back to Win8.1 for a little while shows me just how much work remains on Win10's performance and stability.

The not-so-good: I'm actually pretty ambivalent about Win8.1's UI overall. Yes, it's definitely more consciously designed for touch, but I just don't like the full-screen Start. I prefer Win10's Start menu with its vertical scrolling (seems more natural to me), even when just using touch. I also don't really like the swipe-from-left multitasking gesture as much on Win8.1, or the lack of a close button on apps. The Charms are okay, I guess, but just really _different_ than anything else that's out there, and just a little jarring to use. Overall, Win8.1 is just _weird_, more than I remembered. Microsoft really did try to change paradigms with it, and obviously they didn't succeed.

The bad: I don't like how Desktop apps are all held in one multitask window, so to get to a specific desktop app it's swipe-from-left, then find and open on the desktop. Modern apps are so much more useful when they coexist more naturally with Win32 apps, i.e., windowed and with the same controls. Constantly switching between full-screen modern apps and to/from the desktop just isn't a smooth experience. It's not exactly a knock against Win8.1 directly, but the newest stuff is only on Win10 (Office Preview, Music Preview, etc.), and I do miss it a little.

I think Win10 is going to ultimately be preferable to me once it actually performs acceptably. I suppose I'm just a little concerned that it performs SO poorly on the SP3 at this point. So much work to be done.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I'd report back after using Win8.1 for a day after so much time on Win10.

The good: Wow, so THAT'S what the SP3 is suppose to act like. From picture login working without issue, to sleep/hibernate actually _working_, to real snappiness, to the fan only running when the machine is actually doing something important, Win8.1 is such a stable OS on the SP3. I now remember why I liked the SP3 so much when I first purchased it (and when some of the initial kinks were worked out): it's a very nice-running system. The most recent official Intel HD drivers for Win8.1 even have the deep black levels that make such a huge difference in darker video (read, Daredevil on Netflix). More than anything, going back to Win8.1 for a little while shows me just how much work remains on Win10's performance and stability.

The not-so-good: I'm actually pretty ambivalent about Win8.1's UI overall. Yes, it's definitely more consciously designed for touch, but I just don't like the full-screen Start. I prefer Win10's Start menu with its vertical scrolling (seems more natural to me), even when just using touch. I also don't really like the swipe-from-left multitasking gesture as much on Win8.1, or the lack of a close button on apps. The Charms are okay, I guess, but just really _different_ than anything else that's out there, and just a little jarring to use. Overall, Win8.1 is just _weird_, more than I remembered. Microsoft really did try to change paradigms with it, and obviously they didn't succeed.

The bad: I don't like how Desktop apps are all held in one multitask window, so to get to a specific desktop app it's swipe-from-left, then find and open on the desktop. Modern apps are so much more useful when they coexist more naturally with Win32 apps, i.e., windowed and with the same controls. Constantly switching between full-screen modern apps and to/from the desktop just isn't a smooth experience. It's not exactly a knock against Win8.1 directly, but the newest stuff is only on Win10 (Office Preview, Music Preview, etc.), and I do miss it a little.

I think Win10 is going to ultimately be preferable to me once it actually performs acceptably. I suppose I'm just a little concerned that it performs SO poorly on the SP3 at this point. So much work to be done.

Thoughtful discussion, @wynand32

GTiceman

My touchscreen is working fine.

Though I am having issues reaching the network shares on my Windows Server 2012 R2 from my SP3

Kris

My touchscreen is working fine.

Though I am having issues reaching the network shares on my Windows Server 2012 R2 from my SP3
This build seems to have all kinds of network issues. I had to recreate all network paths on both computers to get it to work again.

GTiceman

This build seems to have all kinds of network issues. I had to recreate all network paths on both computers to get it to work again.
Ughhh I am not recreating them all on the server. Though I have always had a network discovery issue with Server 2012 R2, they never show up in Network

Kris

Ughhh I am not recreating them all on the server. Though I have always had a network discovery issue with Server 2012 R2, they never show up in Network
I'm not using a server edition but it's the only way I could get it to work on any Windows machine when trying to use this build... With multiple reinstalls I am sick of it. Yet you notice I'm still not going back to Windows 8.1, I must hate myself or something...

riley2323

Nope, i mean internet explorer. I refuse to use edge, it's a pile of crap imo.
Why doesn't the normal way of settings, Add-ons, and then under search providers add Google and make it the default work? It works for me except at work, if I happen to be on my crappy Lenovo, when the admin policy seems to wipe out the default setting every 10 minutes.

gbenrus25

Great perspective.

I'm with you on all the points you made except the not so good points. I prefer the full screen start menu's horizontal scrolling to vertical especially when holding the SP3 as a tablet and I'm indifferent on the charms as long as its functionality can be replicated. The swipe from left is definitely better in Windows 10 though and I find myself missing it now that I'm back on Windows 8.1.

But the differences in stability and performance are the biggest differences for me. I really hope the initial final version of Windows 10 can be as stable and perform as well. The difference right now is jarring.

Status
Not open for further replies.