What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have sent feedback, but really annoyed with tablet mode at the moment. Why do they remove desktop icons, dim the background, and remove the ability to right click the desktop for the drop down menu for creating folders etc.

Also getting a bit annoyed that the "all apps" link on the start menu gets blocked by the search bar so have to go to the minimized view to find an app. The search bar doesn't even work. Just gives me a load of rubbish from bing and some settings items, but cannot find an app that i can clearly see exists (in this instance, insider hub for giving the feedback, all the search bar can find me is advanced system settings. wtf.

Btw, anyone mentioned the connected Standby?
Windows 10 seems to reconnect every 4 minutes and not 32 seconds :)
Drains ca 1% per Hour in CS.

Connected Standby.png

They must have fixed something. D/L started instantly, completed, reboot message, rebooted, update successful. All in about 4 minutes total.

I actually had an answer from Gab Aul via twitter. He answered to me:

Glad it worked. You hit a WU timeout on the initial scan, and then it reset and went through. We'll take a look at logs here.

At the same time I had an interesting answer on the Insider forum:

Try the following: Credit - Carey Frisch, MVP:
1. Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)
2. Type: cd %windir% and press the Enter key.
3. Type: net stop wuaserv and press the Enter key
4. Type: ren softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old and press the Enter key.
5. [ Note: if you get an error message, ignore and type the above again and press Enter ]
6. Type: net start wuauserv and press the Enter key.
7. Type: Exit and press Enter, then go back and check for Windows Updates again.

The age old question when it comes to MS: Why do updates so often make things WORSE?

The original latest version was running reasonably well for me. Since the update I'm getting tons of heat and fan anytime I hold my SP3 as a tablet instead of laptop and all browsers are constantly freezing and locking up. Sigh.

What would be interesting to find out is why some people have similar problems to what B'midbar is having but most users don't experience any of them. I would say if they followed the procedure that formats the SSD and boots and installs the latest build from a thumb drive and than still has a problem, they might have some sort of hardware problem like faulty memory or cpu.

Just downloaded and installed KB3050284 W10 Preview March Update.

My home office suddenly transformed into a holodeck filled with bikini models who are all really into old dudes. Other than that, I can't tell any difference yet.

Got the same download and install it this morning only mine had the bikini's falling off and the girls scrambling into the water.

Last edited:
Have sent feedback, but really annoyed with tablet mode at the moment. Why do they remove desktop icons, dim the background, and remove the ability to right click the desktop for the drop down menu for creating folders etc.

I imagine It's dimmed because they figure in tablet mode you'll be on battery. I'm using an external monitor as the primary and that doesn't allow right-click but the surface screen does.... I guess they overlooked that one.

I imagine It's dimmed because they figure in tablet mode you'll be on battery. I'm using an external monitor as the primary and that doesn't allow right-click but the surface screen does.... I guess they overlooked that one.

I dont like when companies make assumptions on my behalf. I probably use tablet mode more while charging than not. Maybe theyre taking an apple approach and assuming we dont understand how to change the brightness ourselves. And afterall, when on battery, how often do you find yourself leaving the device on and just sat showing the desktop? Might as well just put it to sleep.

@Arizona Willie Well, exactly the same behaviour here. Thanks for the tip again, I was going crazy.

Having lots of patience seems to be the answer for some problems. I started the last build update and didn't have the patience to stay after work but since it had finished downloading off my companies wifi, I just left it running and took my Surface to the car and let it continue to install while I drove home. It was complete when I got home.

strange. All of a sudden any touch to the screen is classified as a right click, whereas the pen still functions as left click. However the moment i got up the onscreen keyboard to type this it has reverted back to normal.

Just had to do a restart. Screen stopped responding to touch completely, but atill worked fine with the pen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back