What's new

White Horizontal Lines - Netflix

Samrold

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to confirm with other SP3 users. Whenever I am using the Netflix App, random horizontal white lines appear on the bottom of the screen for a second. It seems to happen randomly while watching anything on the app. It also happens if I watch Netflix through IE. Doesn't happen in Chrome..

Is anybody else experiencing this? I want to make sure it is a software issue and not a hardware issue since I bought it a few days ago. (Mine is the i5 , 8gb version)

Thank you!

OP
S

Samrold

Video of the issue:

Sorry for the blurry video. Happens around :04 - :07

The lines appear throughout the whole play in random intervals and in different positions at the very bottom of the screen as seen in the video.

It is worth mentioning that it doesn't happen playing videos anywhere else or while playing games, or just normal windows 8 use. But seeing something that looks like artifacts on your new device can be a little alarming!

Last edited:

ctitanic

Try doing a refresh. if you still see that line my advice would be to call tech support and get an exchange.

OP
S

Samrold

I will just take it back to the store and request an exchange. I bought it 2 days ago and have video proof of it. Better safe than sorry. Thank you for your time.

OP
S

Samrold

Well I have an update about the issue. I have a thread going on on another forum. And two users replied saying that they are experiencing the same issue. Ctitanic, do you use Netflix? Can you see if you can replicate the issue? Thank you.

ctitanic

Well I have an update about the issue. I have a thread going on on another forum. And two users replied saying that they are experiencing the same issue. Ctitanic, do you use Netflix? Can you see if you can replicate the issue? Thank you.
Yes, I use Netflix a lot and I don't have this issue. May be something that's happening with just some videos.

mr.dj26

I had this issue before, not a big deal.
I did a factory reset because of a different problem and I just checked its not there, maybe it depends on the movie

Seneleron

I have issues with Netflix where it'll flash random huge white chunks in the video. Happens most often right after starting a video, but will occasionally pop one here and there. It's very inconsistent, and has persisted through a full reset.

The strange thing is, it doesn't happen while running things like hearthstone, or full screen youtube videos. If it's artifacting, it's an issue with Netflix or the codec. I also stress tested the GPU with intel XTU and had no issues. I'll grab 3dmark and run it and get back to ya.

Update: Ran 3dMark. Abysmally low score of 484 [throttled on last test] but no artifacting, no crashing, nothing. I'm gonna say it's an issue on Netflix' end.

Last edited: