What's new

Solved Monitor losing connectivity- SP3 i7 256gb

Daniel Peleg

Hi.

I am having a problem with my 32" Acer B326HUL monitor connected either directly to my SP3 i7 either directly to the computer via HDMI and the official Microsoft mini-display port to HDMI adapter, or through the same adapter into the docking station.
My screen will at random times just go black for 2-3 seconds as if it lost the signal. It might do this once every 10 minutes, or it might do it 5 times within a minute. From time to time I will also get a thin black horizontal line that's a few pixels wide which lasts for a split second and spans the width of the screen. It can appear randomly at any point on the screen- but happens most predominantly when I am scrolling through a full-screen white background document or white background website.

I've tried setting the frequency manually to 60hz, and tested at 59 as well. Also I tried multiple times uninstalling the Generic PnP driver and restarting. Also odd- but every time I restart, there seems to be two Generic PnP Monitor drivers listed at a time. I have all updates installed.

I had the exact same problem with an SP3 i5 that I returned three weeks ago in place for this i7.
I even went back to the store and replaced the monitor. Tried it with 3 different HDMI cables, all good quality and high throughput. Resolution is set to 2160x1440.

It worked just fine with a 22" Samsung at 1080p, and has worked on a projector- both through HDMI.
The Acer 32" works fine through HDMI with my MacBook Pro.

Tried to give as much detail as possible.
I have a feeling people are having the same problem with different monitors as well.
I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks guys!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry... I don't have the issue with any of my external monitors.... is the monitor in question Display Port Capable? Higher Resolution Monitors tend to work better through DP vs. HDMI.

OP
D

Daniel Peleg

Sorry... I don't have the issue with any of my external monitors.... is the monitor in question Display Port Capable? Higher Resolution Monitors tend to work better through DP vs. HDMI.

I thought of that just yesterday. The monitor has Display Port, so I ordered from Amazon the StarTech Mini-Display Port to Display Port cable and should have it by Tuesday to give it a try.

Enrico D.

the startech recently created that models that are for what you need, is the standard to connect 4k led tv also, I have seen in youtube a guy connected a 4k seiki monitor to surface with an ACCELL cable, so I bought it, but I will buy startech too a day, for now I've a startech mdp to dvi-d for my dell 30 inch 2560x1600 and it's working fine, the Sp3 device work perfectly, the docking station for sp3 has some problem with the mdp port and wouldn't work probabily, so first check other threads if you are going to add a docking in the future, we have troubles there.

OP
D

Daniel Peleg

Problem solved:
It seems that the SP3 does not like to play ball with higher resolution large scale monitors such as my 32" running at 2160 x 1440 when connected with a Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter.
So- I am using a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable now, and it works like a dream. I believe this is probably because of the limitations inherent with HDMI, even when using a good quality high-throughput cable.
My Startech mDP to DP cable works like a dream, and cost me a third what the original Microsoft mDP to HDMI adapter cost.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Cheers