What's new

Surface pro or pro 2?

GoodBytes

I have the original Surface Pro, hand on heart I can say I have never had one little hiccup since un-boxing, I use as my daily machine, switched on most of the day, never a problem, I also have the original Surface RT, same for it, no problems what-so-ever, enjoyed every day I have had them, have a 23" monitor with HDMI to connect to, hardly ever use it. Jim

Same here with my Pro 2. However, it must be noted that the issue that people report about the microSD card where the CPU cycle increase, is something I can't test as I don't have one. Reports have been mixed. So it could be a that the Pro 2 have problem with some microSD cards. And that is again only an issue if you cleave the microSD card inside all the time, if it's for transferring picture or something for a moment, then issue or not, it's well not an massive issue. Also, I have no bluetooth device. So I did not test this. Apparently there is a reduction in max wireless speed, when bluetooth is connect, probably because it shares the same 2.4GHz antenna. But the Pro 1 should face the same problem. I use a 2.4GHz wireless mouse with a tiny mouse adapter in the USB port. I find wireless mouses to be better than Bluetooth mouse, for the simple reason that I see that no manufacture cares about about Bluetooth mouse, due to extreme low demand. My wireless mouse is small but comfy, has free spin wheel mode, back and forward button, and middle click (Logitech VX Nano).

jefhart

I have a Surface Pro 2 with an SD card that is always in and a logitech bluetooth mouse and I do not experience any issues. Actually I have not had a single problem since I purchased this. I did send my first one back because of some issues with an external monitor when using the dock but I have since determined that it was a problem with the hdmi cable I was using, not the Surface.

Dracoman

I went through the same considerations. I did not want to spend $1,200 on the SP2 + Type 2 cover but I wanted to use it for work and I have some really big projects coming up and I need performance. The extra battery life really appealed to me so, in the end I spent the extra cash and got the SP2 instead of the SP.

Now I am glad I did and I may even spend the $199 to get the Battery Cover so that I can have even longer life for this special occasions where I might not have power handy.

I absolutely love the capability to make notes on PDF documents and then print with or without the notes.

I use OneNote to import all appropriate documents for each project. I have a tab for each project and I paste the different documents in (spreadsheets, PDFs, Word docs, etc.). They all paste in perfectly and I can annotate any of them. Since my OneNote project file lives in OneDrive all of my devices will see the latest updates in a matter of seconds. This allows me to use my docked ThinkPad with a very large monitor to make last minute changes to a document, incorporate the documents into OneNote then just pick up my SP2 and go. I have all of the latest info one my SP2 to work from during meetings or travel.

I forgot to mention that the reason I wanted a Pro version is for the Wacom digitizer. The Pro model screen is a digitizer as opposed to capacitive (I believe that is the term) for the Surface. There is a big difference if you like to use handwriting, drawing, etc.

This has been a great tool. After spending so much cash on it I am really glad it performs the way I had hoped.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

I have a Surface Pro 2 with an SD card that is always in and a logitech bluetooth mouse and I do not experience any issues. Actually I have not had a single problem since I purchased this. I did send my first one back because of some issues with an external monitor when using the dock but I have since determined that it was a problem with the hdmi cable I was using, not the Surface.

Just to let you know many people didn't think they were experiencing slowing down, as their Surface appeared to be running fine. But, when taking the micro SD card out the slot, and checking the performance monitor, they saw that it was boosted afterwards.

Deckyon

I have not noticed any slow down or speed up with/without the MicroSD card inserted. This was watching the PerfMon as well. I have the little Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse T630 and it works a treat and fits in my pocket.

jefhart

Just to let you know many people didn't think they were experiencing slowing down, as their Surface appeared to be running fine. But, when taking the micro SD card out the slot, and checking the performance monitor, they saw that it was boosted afterwards.

Looking at the performance monitor, there is a short spike when it is inserted but then it goes back to 0.

OP
I

ItsLymeLite

Thanks for the input everyone. I am leaning more towards the surface pro 1 due to my budget and I would also like to get a type cover. I do got a few other questions, how is the pen? Anyone have a battery cover and how much time did it add to the mix? Also when does anyone have an idea when the next surface pro 3 might be released, if its in a few month I may delay my purchase to see what they have coming up.

GoodBytes

The battery will add 60% to your usage.
The pen is excellent out of the box for pointing, sketching and drawing. No mater what you do, you will not fight with the pen to work. It works exactly as expected, all the time. No weird stuff, tracking is also fast, and doesn't get confused even if you go really fast. That is one of the reason why people generally like Wacom digitize pen technology.

However, if you want to wright, you may need to calibrate it, as writhing requires high precision. It also depends on your writing style, and if you care or not.
Wacom pen is being entirely tracked and calibrated to it, and mixed with the fact that we all hold the pen differently when we write, you can now see why you need to calibrate it, unless you just happen to hold the pen as it was initially calibrated to.

To calibrate the pen, you can use Windows 16-point calibration. But that is a generic one for all tablets and not designed specifically for the Surface Pro digitizer. So, it may be like the Pro 2, where you'll need extreme pixel perfect calibration process on all 16 points, and won't be able to reach about 10 pixel to the right and bottom. On the internet there is another generic tablet 275 point calibration, which will face the same problem, but due to high amount of point, it will hide the offset from an imperfect calibration.

I have made the Surface Tweak Tool, which contains a 80-point calibration process, a calibration which I have developer that is specifically designed for the Surface Pro 2, so that you can calibrate it with ease, and quickly, and work edge to edge. I have also modified teh 275 point calibration (if you prefer that one) to work edge to edge, and I have a 308 point calibration if you desire an extreme amount of calibration points. I recommend the 80-point calibration.
However, Surface Tweak Tool has been designed for the Pro 2, as this is the only Surface Pro I have. So if the digitizer is different, your mileage will vary, but I am most confident that nothing has changed between the Pro and Pro 2 for the digitizer. Also, the other tweaks assumes Pro 2, so I would avoid them if you have the Pro 1. Just something to keep in mind, as I could not test them, nor help you out, as I don't have a Pro 1.

CrippsCorner

Looking at the performance monitor, there is a short spike when it is inserted but then it goes back to 0.

That's good, hopefully you're one of the lucky ones :) but, just to mention... I've read of people trying different activities and it having variable results. For instance there was someone here that it effected quite badly, until he streamed some music from his Surface then the performance returned to normal! Strange, running something actually gave him more performance!?