What's new

Surface Pro 4 with Dell 25" or 27" monitor?

Hey guys,

Looking to buy either a 25 or a 27 inch 1440p Dell monitor soon (U2515H, UP2516D, U2716H, UP2716D - one of those).

Anyone using such configuration? I don't have a dock and I will be connecting the monitor directly into the surface. I am currently using a 22 inch 1680x1050 and I am seeing this scaling issues some reported, for example with Skype For Business - when I move the chat window on the external screen, the chat window is just huge...

Would highly appreciate if anyone tested / have such config and should I expect any issues with any of those?

Cheers!

Edgar_BCN

+1

Guess best option is 1440p (4k aside) in 24/25 screen so both (Surface and monitor) can be configured at 200%

Glenn.Q

I have the Dell U2715H with a resolution of 2560x1440 and love it!
I had to choose between a 25" and a 27" monitor and chose the 27" because its simply more pleasant to work with.
I very often work with splitscreen (half of the monitor for outlook an the other half for browser or explorer).
With 25" that would have been to small for me.

So my recommendation is clearly the 27".

OP
BorisHristov

BorisHristov

I have the Dell U2715H with a resolution of 2560x1440 and love it!
I had to choose between a 25" and a 27" monitor and chose the 27" because its simply more pleasant to work with.
I very often work with splitscreen (half of the monitor for outlook an the other half for browser or explorer).
With 25" that would have been to small for me.

So my recommendation is clearly the 27".

And what about scaling issues? Anything? You are using it with a Surface, correct?

Glenn.Q

I am using a Surface pro 4, i5, 8GB, 256SSD, yes.
I dont have any scaling issues. Windows 10 handles the monitor just fine.
The Scaling on the monitor is set to 125% while the scaling on the internal display is at 200%.
Windows recognizes the external display which I connected via Mini-Display-Port/Display-Port cable and handles the individual scaling.

While connected to the monitor I only use that as the only display but cloning or extending would be possible.

The only thing I considered is switching to a 4K monitor because the x1440 resolution directly next to my iMac 5K still looks a little blurry. But that is only because I have the direct comparison.

OP
BorisHristov

BorisHristov

I am using a Surface pro 4, i5, 8GB, 256SSD, yes.
I dont have any scaling issues. Windows 10 handles the monitor just fine.
The Scaling on the monitor is set to 125% while the scaling on the internal display is at 200%.
Windows recognizes the external display which I connected via Mini-Display-Port/Display-Port cable and handles the individual scaling.

While connected to the monitor I only use that as the only display but cloning or extending would be possible.

The only thing I considered is switching to a 4K monitor because the x1440 resolution directly next to my iMac 5K still looks a little blurry. But that is only because I have the direct comparison.

Yeah. I can imagine that the 5K + iMac is a bit more brutal than the 1440p screen, but at the same time - how much of the things / software / web sites are optimized for 5K?

Have you checked the Extend mode with the DELL + the Surface? If not, can you please check how it works and if there are issues as I am looking forward to this one! :)

Glenn.Q

Extend mode is working fine. The display work the same way with that as with the Projector only setting.

OP
BorisHristov

BorisHristov

Extend mode is working fine. The display work the same way with that as with the Projector only setting.

Got it. Now I am going to be thinking around whether or not there is a use case to invest for the UP2716D as at the end of the day, when you are buying a screen, you are buying it for the next few years. + the new 27" has a few USBs and that may come handy for the 1 such in the Surface. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Glenn.Q

I dont really see the difference to the 2715H. What exactly is it?

My 2715H also has USB 3.0 ports.

The monitor of my choice would be the P2715Q with 4K if I were to choose again today. 4K just because the fonts will look even smoother than on my x1440 resolution.

What is so special about the 2715D that justifies the price?

OP
BorisHristov

BorisHristov

e monitor of my choice would be the P2715Q with 4K if I were to choose again today. 4K just because the fonts will look even smoother than on my x1440 resolution.

First off, I obviously missed the fact that yours also has USB ports! That is seriously cool and important note! Thanks for making it! (btw, what can you use those for - can you use them as they were on the Surface itself?)

As for the other changes - I am not a pro designer / video expert, so my understanding on what is better is coming only from the web - better colors on the new one is the main thing people are saying. Whether or not I will see that difference is different story, though...

As for any other difference - not sure :)

Glenn.Q

As far as i got it the monitor works as a USB hub. So if I would connect the Surface to the monitor I guess the USB ports would work like the internal ports. However, I dont need them, so I didnt connect them to the Surface.
I think I will buy a surface dock so I have the monitor and power supply (along with a few USB ports) in one connector.

OP
BorisHristov

BorisHristov

As far as i got it the monitor works as a USB hub. So if I would connect the Surface to the monitor I guess the USB ports would work like the internal ports. However, I dont need them, so I didnt connect them to the Surface.
I think I will buy a surface dock so I have the monitor and power supply (along with a few USB ports) in one connector.

Perfect. I also believe it would be the case. If anyone can confirm would be cool :)

Glenn, thanks a ton for that info, by the way! Really helped! (at least me)