What's new

Surface Pro 4 firmware/hardware updates 4/19/2016

wynand32

Anybody else get firmware/hardware updates today? Kind of a different install routine, first got an update notification ("couldn't install updates"), then I went to updates and the impending updates were listed.

Here's what was updated (bigger list than I thought at first):
  • Microsoft driver update for Surface Camera Windows Hello
  • Intel Corporation driver update for Intel AVStream Camera 2500
  • Intel Corporation driver update for Microsoft IR Camera Front
  • Microsoft driver update for Surface UEFI
  • Intel Corporation driver update for Intel CSI2 Host Controller
  • Intel Corporation driver update for Intel Control Logic
  • Intel Corporation driver update for Intel Imaging Signal Processor 2500
  • Microsoft driver update for Surface CoSAR Driver
  • Intel Corporation driver update for Intel HD Graphics 520
  • Intel Corporation driver update for Microsoft Camera Front
  • Microsoft driver update for Surface Embedded Controller Firmware
  • Microsoft driver update for Surface System Aggregator Firmware
  • Intel Corporation driver update for Microsoft Camera Rear
So far, I've noticed that Windows Hello is noticeably faster on my SP4.

Microsoft published the changelon for the update:

• Surface Embedded Controller Firmware update (v103.1122.256.0) adjustments to system thermal tuning.
  • Surface System Aggregator Firmware update (v103.1135.257.0) addresses a case where after you resume the Surface Pro 4 device from hibernation and detach the cover, the auto-rotate feature does not work.
  • Surface UEFI update (v104.1121.768.0) addresses screen flickering in Microsoft Edge and other applications.
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 driver update (v20.19.15.4409) improves the overall stability of the graphics driver, resolves screen flickering in several popular applications, and cases where the display does not reinitialize correctly after the device resumes from sleep or hibernation.
  • Intel(R) Display Audio driver update (v8.20.0.865) supports compatibility with the updated HD Graphics Family driver.
  • Surface Camera drivers set (v30.10586.7035.1976) improves Windows Hello stability.
    • Intel(R) AVStream Camera 2500 driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
    • Intel(R) Control Logic driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
    • Intel(R) CSI2 Host Controller driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
    • Intel(R) Imaging Signal Processor 2500 driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
    • Microsoft Camera Front driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
    • Microsoft Camera Rear driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
    • Microsoft IR Camera Front driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
    • Surface Camera Windows Hello driver update (v1.0.45.0) improves Windows Hello stability.
  • Surface CoSAR driver update (v1.0.47.0) adds support for additional Wi-Fi signal algorithms to improve signal strength with some 5-GHz access points.
  • Surface Dock Integration driver update (v1.0.6.0) improves stability and compatibility with external monitors and passive video adapters.
  • Surface Dock Firmware Update driver update (v1.2.6.0) improves stability and compatibility with external monitors and passive video adapters.

Last edited:

cmergel

So on my work machine which is a SP4 (i7) (10586), I got the initial updates started downloading and then it crashed with a BSOD. After restarting and going back in it states that updates are available but when I click the install now button it is asking for elevated permission (admin rights) to install them. My regular work account is not a local admin on the computer and this is the first time that I have ever seen the popup for elevated permissions to install updates. I restarted several times and still require admin rights. Anybody else seen?

My personal SP4 (m3), (Windows 10 Insider Build 14316), which I have local admin rights took the updates without issue or BSOD.

Kcnewf

I encountered a BSOD and then black screen (unlit keyboard) after installing the update.

Power button had no effect.

Did a hard reset.

System finally opened to BIOS (may be the wrong term). I clicked exit.

My SP4 then rebooted without a problem.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got this update this morning, but I had to go to my Device Manager and manually start the update - Oddly, but not surprisingly - the Windows Update didn't catch this update. I am also running the latest Insider Preview Evaluation Copy 14316.rs1 - so this may have cause the Windows Update not to catch it.

What I have noticed so far is that the "Windows Hello" feature is screaming fast and highly accurate. I have 3 accounts on my machine and I love this feature! My wife's account of course has all of her shortcuts, desktop icons etc, and all she has to do is LOG out, then I put the machine in front of my face and BAM!!! - Without error or pause, Windows logs me on. What a wonderful feature, and it works of course with no background lighting etc as the infrared light comes on and identifies me.

I surely hope others will post their experiences with this update. Hopefully Microsoft has hammered out some of the bugs this time around. I have to say I am really impressed that Microsoft has not "swept under" the needed updates and bug fixes that are needed. As of now I have zero issues with my Surface Pro 4

OP
wynand32

wynand32

So far, the only difference I've noticed (of course, it's not been long) is that yes, Windows Hello is almost unbelievably fast. It was impressively fast when I got it, then slower and inconsistent after the February firmware update, and then now it's significantly faster than ever. I'll have to see about consistency, but I'd say it's as fast as the fingerprint reader on my Nexus 6P, which is incredibly fast.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far, the only difference I've noticed (of course, it's not been long) is that yes, Windows Hello is almost unbelievably fast. It was impressively fast when I got it, then slower and inconsistent after the February firmware update, and then now it's significantly faster than ever. I'll have to see about consistency, but I'd say it's as fast as the fingerprint reader on my Nexus 6P, which is incredibly fast.

On an off note - speaking of fingerprint readers, something I recently discovered is - On a phone most folks would assume you have to swipe your finger from top to bottom, but - you can swipe your finger horizontally from top to bottom thus allowing you to use it one handed. This video will show the two ways you can swipe your fingerprint reader. Sorry to go off subject - Just love helping.

ZirconZer0

The intel graphic driver lags my csgo. I used to have 60fps and now I only get 30fps with the same setting. Need to roll back the driver and test again to see if the problem persists.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
The intel graphic driver lags my csgo. I used to have 60fps and now I only get 30fps with the same setting. Need to roll back the driver and test again to see if the problem persists.

Pardon my ignorance - But what is CSGO - I would assume a game perhaps.

WaVeS

Getting Error 0x80070570 for all of the updates when trying to install.

UPDATE:
Was able to install most of the update by stopping the window update service and renaming SoftwareDistribution folder in %windir%
Control Logic would not update.

Last edited:
Like many others, I also got the BSOD....it rebooted, seems to have installed most of the files, but left one uninstalled: driver update for Intel(R) Control Logic. Still won't install it.