What's new

Surface Dock Detaching Issue

Nuspieds

You're very welcome! That's why we're all here: To share our experiences and help each other out.

On my SP2, there was a time where it would go to sleep but when I woke it up, it had crashed and turned off completely. Again, frustrating in that you leave things in a certain state and you want to resume, but end up having to reboot your machine! :mad: Especially since the problem only started to occur after a recent firmware update, my immediate reaction, of course, was to blame the SP2 and I started down the path of various troubleshooting exercises.

Very long story short, the culprit turned out to be a router/network monitoring app that I had installed as part of my new Netgear router. I just happened to have upgraded to this new router and installed its system software at around the same time of the SP2 firmware upgrade. As soon as I uninstalled this app, problem went away! Just goes to show you the importance of troubleshooting with all custom services/apps disabled.

Per your comment that uninstalling TurboCad did not fix the problem, let me tell you that ages ago I lost confidence in app uninstallers. I've had far too many issues where things were still left behind. I eventually stumbled on an online article about Revo Uninstaller and I haven't looked back since. :)

Although I'm happy that you are able to isolate the culprit, the fact that you had TurboCad installed means that it is an app that you want/need. I think you'd have a better chance of winning all lotteries across the world on the same day than convincing the TurboCad folks that they had a bug that is causing your issue. :D What I'm saying is don't give up: In my Netgear case, I wasn't using that app, so uninstalling it was not an issue; however, in other circumstances for other apps, I found workarounds where I ended up closing services/running tasks in order to overcome an issue.

So, with TurboCad installed, you might want to consider what else you need to close in order to resolve your issue without the need to actually have to completely uninstall TurboCad. For such circumstances, I usually check Services, Task Manager, and a Windows add-on app called Process Explorer.

At the end of the day, if you need the app, you need the app. So if it means a couple of extra manual keystrokes on your part to maintain compatibility until--hopefully--there is a software fix, then so be it. ;)