What's new

Surface book not playing nice with dock

PsRumors

I believe this to be a unique issue as I have scoured the internet and not found anyone complaining of what I am experiencing.

Surface Book i5/256/8GB/Nvidia
Surface Dock

When the Surface dock is plugged into the base of the laptop none of the Surface Dock USB ports work

When the Surface dock is plugged into the base of the tablet everything works as it should

The USB ports work fine on the base (keyboard)

Everything worked fine prior to the morning of May 17th so I de-installed the update that happened overnight. No change

Updated the firmware on the dock - no change - interesting note, when the dock is plugged into the base (keyboard) the Book does not recognize that it is plugged into a Dock and the updater will not update the Dock firmware. I had to detach the screen and plug the dock into the bottom of the screen.

I have contacted Microsoft Support but they seem to be out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

OP
P

PsRumors

It appears to be good. The slot is quite small but used a magnifying glass and all appears to be clean and orderly in there.

When I went to bed everything was working, when I awoke nada.

MickeyLittle

It appears to be good. The slot is quite small but used a magnifying glass and all appears to be clean and orderly in there.

When I went to bed everything was working, when I awoke nada.

I would double check because about a week ago my charger started light on/off as in charging for a second and then not charging. It looked fine and I wiped it off and gently blew out the charging port on my SB but to no avail. Finally I cleaned the connectors on the charger with some alcohol and presto, no issue at all ever since! Oh and this problem came up over night for me too.

OP
P

PsRumors

Just to make sure, wiped the connector with an alcohol wipe and blew out the port, still nothing except charges.

I've spoken to Microsoft support twice now and they have agreed nothing is likely to fix the issue. I am going to reset the book tonight and if still experiencing the issue I have an appointment at a store for a replacement.

MickeyLittle

Just to make sure, wiped the connector with an alcohol wipe and blew out the port, still nothing except charges.

I've spoken to Microsoft support twice now and they have agreed nothing is likely to fix the issue. I am going to reset the book tonight and if still experiencing the issue I have an appointment at a store for a replacement.

Nice to have a store nearby. I live in the boondocks so I would have to ship it off for repair/replace. Good luck!