What's new

SP3 is not hibernating

OP
P

phositadc

Well, you have got something that many users are looking for. To stay the whole time in connected standby.

Have you tried to undo the registry hack? (need more info on this)

The hibernation option can be added using Group Policies Editor like it's explained here:

http://www.trishtech.com/2013/04/show-hibernate-in-power-options-menu-in-windows-8/

The registry hack is the same thing has adding the hibernation option via Group Policies Editor--it just goes straight to the registry rather than doing it through Group Policies.

And I have now hibernated it that way, and--as expected--it does not actually hibernate. Still waits up by the Windows button. Still shows up as connected standby in sleep studies.

I agree being able to set it to never hibernate would be a good option. But for the time being I'd just like my SP3 to work the way it's supposed to =P

Guess I'll do a factory reset using the recovery partition. I'll actually be disappointed if that fixes the problem, though, because as I said earlier, a person really SHOULD be able to do a clean installation of Win 8.1 without breaking hibernate. Shame on MS.

OP
P

phositadc

By the way, can others confirm that, in a sleep study, the maximum connected standby duration should indeed be 4 hours? I just saw that in another thread, someone posted a connected standby duration of over 5 hours.

vtechump

I now have this same issue, no hibernation. Before the 9/9/14 firmware update my device would always hibernate when left overnight (would have to use power button, and would take 2 seconds to resume). Now, when left overnight I press the power button and get immediate resume, and anywhere from 10-20% battery drain. Wish I wouldn't have updated.

Is there a way to force hibernation after a specified amount of time?

bluegrass

I never have used hibernation so I was interested how to force hibernation. I typed in hibernate at the start screen. An icon showed up that looked like a cmd prompt. I right clicked on it and selected "pin to the start menu".

I wanted to prove it really went into hibernation by pressing it on the start screen. I went in the start desktop and started a video editing program. After it was up and running, I pressed the Windows key and went back to the start menu and pressed the Hibernate icon I added. The screen immediately went black.

I tried pressing the Windows key like Frank suggested and nothing happened. Then I pressed the power button. The Surface name came up and in about 8 seconds the lock screen appeared. I logged in and went to the desktop to see if my video editor was up. It was. So these steps are a definitive way of testing if hibernation is working. Incidentally, I read in the Surface users guide that hibernation is suppose to occur after one hour of sleep.

vtechump

I just wish I knew how to get it back to hibernating after one hour of sleep. I have no need for it to update anything when left off for more than 30 minutes.

bluegrass

I did a little further investigation and found out where the underlying command was that was being executed. I believe if you created a desktop shortcut with that command in it, you would immediately go into hibernation upon clicking on it.

This is what I found:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k shutdown/h

I even went one step further and executed this command on my work desktop and it went into hibernate.

And if you want to use it but don't want it to leave an open dos prompt window on your desktop, change the "k" to a "c"

Last edited:

vtechump

Even better, after having absolutely ZERO wifi issues from day 1, now after 9/9 update I'm also getting no connections available even though it is never hibernating. Frustrating.

bluegrass

Even better, after having absolutely ZERO wifi issues from day 1, now after 9/9 update I'm also getting no connections available even though it is never hibernating. Frustrating.

You'll probably get more help if you post this in a thread dealing with wifi issues & not hibernation problems.

nilsk123

I have this same 'issue'. According to the battery report, my surface never hibernates.

Forcing it through shutdown /h does work, but if i leave my surface overnight it just stays in connected standby