What's new

SB slow wifi

Mikewired

image.jpeg
decided to test wifi speeds against my yoga 3 pro. SB and sp4 are always slower.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting that photo. It shows you are testing through different Internet hubs in Alabama. And the hubs are hopped by different service providers.

Also, you are not showing a test of "WiFi". You are showing an Internet speed test. Strictly speaking, WiFi is your own infrastructure regardless of Internet speed.

flar

By default the test automatically selects a server that it thinks might be best, but as sharpcolorado pointed out, they have chosen different servers to test from so this is an apples-to-oranges test. The problem could be outside your network.

Also, it appears that they are running at the same time so their wifi signals could/would be interfering with each other, no?

I usually test wifi performance with a completely local network tester, one end on the wired LAN connected directly to the router and the other end being over wifi. I believe I used NetStress 2.0 the last time I did this testing (which was a couple of years ago). Before that I had a UNIX network test suite that I ran on some Macs, but NetStress runs on Windows natively.

netuser

That photo is a poor example since it's testing Internet not local wireless, however I do see wifi problems in our Surface Books.

At work, when I use Remote Desktop to access a Surface Book over wifi even in the same room, the connection is often very poor and laggy. I have to turn down the quality settings to dial-up like RDP experience or the mouse movements are super laggy and massive amounts of frames drop. If I access the Surface Book while plugged into a USB Ethernet dongle, then the connection is fine.

If I use Remote Desktop to connect to some other wireless laptop (such as an HP or Dell) that may be sitting on a table next to the problem Surface Book, the connection is full speed and full quality. So, the problem is with the Surface Book wireless.

Is there any fix for this?

Also, I wonder why they went with this odd Marvell wireless networking instead of all Intel. This is also one of the reasons Surface Books don't support Intel WiDi or vPro

Last edited:
OP
M

Mikewired

I tested the SB wifi speed over and over against different devices and locations, one at a time, and both devices at once. Always SB was slower. I would watch videos and it would freeze catch up and play again. The cheap open box yoga 3 pro would always play all videos? I picked up an iPad pro and apple pencil for my note taking and marking up blueprints for now. I will be eager to get another SB once things are sorted out. The ipad pro is a phenomenal machine if you need the differences it brings to the table vs other iPads. My old iPads are boring with mono speakers, the iPad rocks with 4 speakers. It uses the top speakers for high frequencies and lower one for low freq. no matter which way you rotate the iPad the speakers follow along. The apple pencil is VERY precise but does make a slight tapping sound on the glass while the surface pen is silent. No eraser on the apple pencil and one note iOS is not quite as feature rich. So for now my yoga 3 pro combo and iPad pro work flawlessly with very good battery life, no lockups, freezes, and always wake up and are ready to work. Still 2 machines but they are both small and fit into one slip case at 4.1 lbs. one nice thing is laying iPad on the table for note taking while looking up things on the yoga.

CMPdeS

Been running into similar problems, funny thing is: I also got the MS RJ45/Ethernet USB dongle, and ran OOKLA's Speed Test on the Surface Book against itself, on WIFI and on Wire. On wire I get literally double the speed I get on WIFI, connected on the same router for both tests. How's that for a unbiased test?

PS: have applied the fix with regedit on the TXAMSDU entry value from 1 to 0 but to no effect.

Last edited:

poluxmx

Hi, to solve the same problem you have I just went to device manager > network > wifi card > properties and then in advanced tab choose either of the frequencies you want other than auto and apply the new setting.
Just have in mind that maybe when you are in a public network you will need to change the setting to be able to connect.

robocoffee

I have been looking into this a little bit and came across one article that claims that having any USB3 device plugged in is hurting speed - I haven't been able to replicate this but I would recommend removing anything plugged into your USB port and running speed test before and after to see if there is any truth to the allegation.

Unapproved forum guideline violation link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

robocoffee

The link that was removed for whatever violation contained some useful workarounds that I have not found on this site. It is not ethical to cut and paste the article into here so it can be of help to people on this site so I can tell you where to search for it over on another site but I believe that will be deleted also...I am trying to become active and helpful but every single post I have made has been moved or edited.

If I cannot help members on this site I guess I will put my efforts in somewhere else - adios fellow Surface users. Hopefully I will see you somewhere else.

Yillbs

Open your command prompt ( CMD ) in run, then type traceroute google.com , do this from both laptops, and screenshot the results here, and i'll tell you what's wrong :)

leeshor

The link that was removed for whatever violation contained some useful workarounds that I have not found on this site. It is not ethical to cut and paste the article into here so it can be of help to people on this site so I can tell you where to search for it over on another site but I believe that will be deleted also...I am trying to become active and helpful but every single post I have made has been moved or edited.

If I cannot help members on this site I guess I will put my efforts in somewhere else - adios fellow Surface users. Hopefully I will see you somewhere else.
You are correct. However, you can paraphrase what needs to be said/explained, in your own words, and even use a text attribution.