What's new

Solved Is this a Mistake?

MickeyLittle

I am thinking about putting my Surface Book on eBay and purchasing this 2 in 1 Amazon.com: NEW Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 2-in-1 Convertible 14" FHD Touchscreen Laptop, Intel Core i5-6200U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce 940M, Backlit Keyboard, HDMI, Bluetooth, WiFi, Stylus Pen, Windows 10: Computers & Accessories

I hardly ever detach my display from the keyboard so that won't matter to me. Here are some pros as I see it:
1) HDMI
2) 1 More USBs
3) 256 GB storage instead of my current 128 GB

Cons
1) weighs 3.85 instead of 3.48 (but 14 inches instead of 13.5) so this is a wash
2) 3000X2000 display on SB where Lenovo only has 1920X1080 (but I'm almost 60 and don't really notice the difference)

Even
1) Battery life should be about the same
2) Lenovo i5 6200 - SB i5 6300 - should be close

Am I missing any cons here? Feel free to straighten me out.

vincentallen2

I am thinking about putting my Surface Book on eBay and purchasing this 2 in 1 Amazon.com: NEW Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 2-in-1 Convertible 14" FHD Touchscreen Laptop, Intel Core i5-6200U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce 940M, Backlit Keyboard, HDMI, Bluetooth, WiFi, Stylus Pen, Windows 10: Computers & Accessories

I hardly ever detach my display from the keyboard so that won't matter to me. Here are some pros as I see it:
1) HDMI
2) 1 More USBs
3) 256 GB storage instead of my current 128 GB

Cons
1) weighs 3.85 instead of 3.48 (but 14 inches instead of 13.5) so this is a wash
2) 3000X2000 display on SB where Lenovo only has 1920X1080 (but I'm almost 60 and don't really notice the difference)

Even
1) Battery life should be about the same
2) Lenovo i5 6200 - SB i5 6300 - should be close

Am I missing any cons here? Feel free to straighten me out.
Idk man, this seems more like a lateral switch, rather than an upgrade in my opinion. Other than having the nVidia gpu, everything else feels like a down grade.

The surface book has more options on usability, based on your preference. I personally think the i5/256gb/nVidia dgpu/non-performance base Surface Book is a better buy/Upgrade than this one. It has basically the same specs, with the added option of the Clipboard of you ever feel need to use a tablet

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Idk man, this seems more like a lateral switch, rather than an upgrade in my opinion. Other than having the nVidia gpu, everything else feels like a down grade.

The surface book has more options on usability, based on your preference. I personally think the i5/256gb/nVidia dgpu/non-performance base Surface Book is a better buy/Upgrade than this one. It has basically the same specs, with the added option of the Clipboard of you ever feel need to use a tablet

I'm sure you're right in that but I can't swing the price for the 256GB Surface Book. But the more I think about it the more I do agree that the SB that I do have is better overall than the Lenovo that I'm thinking of buying so I'll probably just stay put.

Plantje

Most likely the swap will cost you money in the sense that you will never get for your Surface Book what it is worth. If the Surface Book is to your likings even though you hardly ever detach the screen I would not sell it.

I use my Surface 3 almost only as "laptop". Still I don't want to replace it with a similar device that has the keyboard attached. I CAN use the Surface 3 as a tablet only and that is something that I think is really important to me. However with a larger screen (SP4 and SB) I would not really feel that need.

Bottom line: if you hadn't already purchased a Surface Book I would say: go for the Lenovo. Since you already have the Surface Book I would advice to keep it.

vincentallen2

Aaay man we're all part of the Surface family now! The only suitable upgrade for your surface book now is another surface book haha!

But seriously, I think your making the best decision. The only other device I'm interested in just "test driving" is the "Porsche Design Book One". That device seems to be only one that can seriously compete with the Surface Book, especially after reading several articles stating it's design choice was made with a collaboration with Microsoft

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

The Porsche does look nice but that's a lot of money for an unproven PC manufacturer in my opinion. Plus 1st generation products are most always very buggy and their owners are basically beta testers. Expensive ones in this case :cool: