What's new

Solved New Type Cover Not Working

OP
V

vsherry

I wasn't aware of any updates necessary to use the type cover. I merely connected it the way I connect the old one, only to discover it does not work.

ScottyS

I wasn't aware of any updates necessary to use the type cover. I merely connected it the way I connect the old one, only to discover it does not work.
The System Firmware Update - ‎10/‎26/‎2015 contains the drivers for the new Type Cover.

r0b123

Assuming you have Win10 with the firmware update mentioned above? I had to install the update and restart before it worked properly.

knackers1111

Make sure to try the two button restart, holding volume up button while pressing power button for ~10 seconds. This worked to fix an undetected type cover, locked landscape orientation and undetected monitor via dock, which all occurred at the same time recently with me.

You'll get some options come up when you do this restart, just exit through to continue.

jpfive

Make sure to try the two button restart, holding volume up button while pressing power button for ~10 seconds. This worked to fix an undetected type cover, locked landscape orientation and undetected monitor via dock, which all occurred at the same time recently with me.

You'll get some options come up when you do this restart, just exit through to continue.
Has anyone else purchased the Surface Pro 4 type cover? My SP3 does not recognize it.

I bought the fingerprint id version for my sp3. Like the OP my sp3 does not recognize it. Touchpad works, but that is all. I have read the other posters, have ensured I have all updates and resorted to the two-finger restart. I will call MS after the 11/3 updates to get assistance. In the meantime, any suggestions are welcome.

jpfive

An update to the above. I took my sp3 to best buy today to test it with another new type kb. It did not recognize that one either. So, as of now it has failed to work with the fingerprint id version that I ordered and the standard kb at best buy. Problem must be with my sp3. I have the MS extended service plan so will call MS to see what they suggest. More on this later.

jpfive

OK, I waited for the latest round of updates, esp the cumulative update to win10. I performed the update, rebooted with the new kb and no change - still not working. I attached the old kb to enter my password so I could boot, reattached the new kb and did another update using touch screen. Voila', "hardware update required", which I did. On restart my sp3 recognized the new kb and I am now good-to-go. Hope this helps someone. I love the smaller, more separated keys, and the improved type feel. It is a much improved keyboard over the old one.