What's new

help! Type cover not working on my unit :(

sleekool

Hi Guys! So I tried attaching a type cover 3 to my Surface Pro 3 256gb i7 unit for the first time and it's not recognizing it. not a single key nor the touchpad worked when it's attached. no backlight either. I went to device manager to see if the drivers are installed but i couldn't find the surface type cover drivers anywhere. At first, I thought it's a defective type cover. but then I tried a friend's type cover and it didn't work on my unit either. Then I tried my type cover on my friend's surface and it instantly connected and worked.

I've searched through virtually every forums but I can't find anyone who's had the same problem as I have. I've tried a refresh, a hard reset and applying alcohol on the contacts of both the surface and type cover. Didn't work..

has anyone experienced such an issue? How do I get it to work without needing to send it to a service center?

I live in a country where the surface line isn't available and therefore unsupported :(

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
First inspect both connectors with a magnifying glass to ensure there's no debris or plastic lodged in them. Second clean/polish both with a soft dry cloth (you could dampen the cloth with a little alcohol preferably 80-90% isopropyl alcohol not Rum or Gin, save that for drinking later) . :)

Then you'll need to figure a way to determine if the keyboard or the Surface is at fault, ideally by trying one or the other with a different unit but that may be tough to do if there's not another within miles. Not sure if you could take a chance on getting another keyboard and returning it once you find out the problem or just exchange the keyboard first to see if that resolves the issue.

kundas1

I'm willing to bet he didn't take off the protector sticker off the keyboard... that's what happened to me the first time :oops:

OP
S

sleekool

Appreciate all the replies :) Unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked. I'm now downloading a recovery media as suggested by a Surface support rep..

Will keep you guys posted...

OP
S

sleekool

Hi guys! The recovery media did not fix the issue. I tried the instructions sent by surface support below:

Download a Recovery Media

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...ervice-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage

Create a Recovery Media

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage-files-and-folders/create-a-recovery-drive

Using the Recovery Media

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/usbrecovery

I'm wondering if there's a way for me to force install the type covers drivers? or is this a hopeless case that needs hardware replacement? I'm still hoping for a miracle.. :)

bender

A friend had the same problem with his i7-256GB... He had to refresh windows, then it worked. I think driver/firmware problem!

nipponham

Hi Guys! So I tried attaching a type cover 3 to my Surface Pro 3 256gb i7 unit for the first time and it's not recognizing it. not a single key nor the touchpad worked when it's attached. no backlight either. I went to device manager to see if the drivers are installed but i couldn't find the surface type cover drivers anywhere.
When you attach the type cover, does it pair up with your SP3 and show up in your list of devices? And when you say you couldn't find the driver, are you saying that the type cover doesn't show up as a filter device under "Keyboard" in Device Manager? Or does it appear and say "No driver installed"? Again in Device Manager, under "HID", does it display the type cover firmware update?

OP
S

sleekool

20150415_183441.jpg

nope. type cover doesn't show up in my list of devices.

When you attach the type cover, does it pair up with your SP3 and show up in your list of devices? And when you say you couldn't find the driver, are you saying that the type cover doesn't show up as a filter device under "Keyboard" in Device Manager? Or does it appear and say "No driver installed"? Again in Device Manager, under "HID", does it display the type cover firmware update?