What's new

Invasion of the Release Preview - Creators Update Ver1703 Build 15063.11

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I notice a few other things...(1) the fans seem to be on all the time and the SP4 is running quite warm (2) can't annotate PDFs on Edge - and I am guessing can't highlight ePUB on Edge either....

Edit: Btw, both apply to the S3 too!!
After further review, I agree with you... running hotter and with shorter battery life.

kristalsoldier

After further review, I agree with you... running hotter and with shorter battery life.

Yeah...seriously...on both my machines, indexing is done, all apps updated, no Windows updates pending...but the fan's still on (SP4), its warm to the touch (also on S3). And, battery drops at a much faster rate - well, at least it is noticeable - than before.

Why does MS do this all the time? And you know what, I am really reluctant to "reset" my devices or reinstall the OS on them.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why does MS do this all the time?
Comes under the category of doing the same thing over and over again.
Perhaps they don't expect different results ... so ... not insane :rolleyes:
Repeating a process without thinking because we've always done it that way isn't gong to win any awards. :confused:

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had some runaway Audio process chewing up a quarter of the CPU. Terminated it and now the taskbar speaker icon has an x by it but the fan stopped. sweet silence. :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have none of these issues.

I have loaded every Insider Preview as soon as it became available. I wonder if some settings were set within the context of updates, and are missing or in error when not following this path. Microsoft may be testing the release on machines which also have had every update.

Russ

I wonder if some settings were set within the context of updates, and are missing or in error when not following this path.
Sharp --
I think your suggestion is highly probable. I have four machines on Fast Ring. Of those, three are always on -- day or night -- so will have received all updates. I have had no issues with these machines. The fourth is one that I set up for my Ladyfriend to use when she is here. She routinely turns it off when she is done, and it can remain off for days. That is the only machine which has had problems.

I had an issue with that machine on a build upgrade, and you asked what build number it was on prior to the upgrade. I didn't know because I seldom used it. Appears to have been a perceptive question. (I never did solve the problem, just bypassed it by swapping in a drive cloned from one of the other machines.)
Regards,
Russ

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would bode poorly then for a mass rollout... my Surface is on the Release Preview ring so it and all the other machines out there are not installing every release incrementally.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Todays glitch, frequent web pages not responding in Edge. seems like it might be an Edge issue, maybe. Rebooting didn't help, reinstalled the Wifi driver also to no avail. I guess I'll try IE to see if it's reproducible there. if it's the same then it's probably Wifi and if not then probably Edge. I'm using ABP in Edge and Hosts file ad blocking so most ads are nowhere to be seen. Definitely haven't been having this kind of issue before the update.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No issues here. Battery seems to be a tiny bit worse (down to 88% after an hours use compared to 90%), although I did receive a build update this morning. No experience with edge though because I refuse to use it until they can make it even close to being a viable competitor (still don't understand how it can possibly take this long to create a functioning web browser).

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Todays glitch, frequent web pages not responding in Edge. seems like it might be an Edge issue, maybe. Rebooting didn't help, reinstalled the Wifi driver also to no avail. I guess I'll try IE to see if it's reproducible there. if it's the same then it's probably Wifi and if not then probably Edge. I'm using ABP in Edge and Hosts file ad blocking so most ads are nowhere to be seen. Definitely haven't been having this kind of issue before the update.
So far today, no hints of yesterdays glitches, might have been the CIA's glitchy monitoring software. :rolleyes:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are using Adblock plugins on Edge - there is a bug with the Surface that prevents pages from loading after resuming from S0iX.....verified with ABP and AB

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are using Adblock plugins on Edge - there is a bug with the Surface that prevents pages from loading after resuming from S0iX.....verified with ABP and AB
I was getting issues repeatedly even after a restart and at one point typing post Id get it every 6-10 characters.
Looks like it applied an update last night and things today are, so far, smooth as silk.
Now running 15063.13 vs 15063.11 yesterday.