What's new

Custom Fan - Get More From Your SP3!

Justing6

To answer your questions Justin6, the black thing with the smiley face is not a batter pack but a usb hub and yes the power port has a USB plug but when I use the power cord the brick is not close enough to use.

Currently the SP3 Duct does cover the display port but I am working on a version that gives access to both ports.

Also, if you or anyone with the Arctic fan can post a XTU GPU and CPU stress run for 10-20 min that would be sweet.

It just sounds like a solid USB extension would fix that, the cable from the power brick to the magnetic surface connector isn't very long. Then again, I usually use 3-6ft figure 8 power cords with the brick to extend it and keep it on top of my desk, not the little 1.5ft that comes with it. That I reserve for travel.

I'll post an XTU test for you, but just to confirm which video drivers are you running? Are you just using stock for the battery life or are you using the newest Intel HD 4400/5000 generic drivers for the huge performance boost? I tend to switch between the two. Also, what was the ambient temperature you ran the test that you screenshotted in? I just want to try and recreate conditions to get the most accurate comparisons of the fans.

I'm looking forward to a new revision with access to the DP. Its vital for me that that port is open, but if you're able to rework your design a bit I would definitely buy one.

HarnessTech

I've often thought that a product that plugs into the side of the SP3, is the same thickness and height, and only about 3/4" wide or less, if possible, with several improvements built-in, would be awesome.

The top of the unit could have GPS.

The mini displayport, which would be used to hold the device onto the SP3, would be converted to a full displayport on the other side. If possible, maybe it could be a mini-hub with 2 displayports out.

The USB port, which would also be used to hold the device in place, would expand to 3 or 4 USB ports on the other side.

The power port, which would also be used to hold the device in place (with magnets), would simply pass-through to the other side with same type of power port.

Other features, such as an additional microSD slot and/or drive activity light would be cool, too.

I know I'm dreaming, but it would add only a small amount of length to the overall system and not interfere with the keyboard. It might also negate the need for a docking station for many people, while also retaining its portability.

Justing6

I've often thought that a product that plugs into the side of the SP3, is the same thickness and height, and only about 3/4" wide or less, if possible, with several improvements built-in, would be awesome.

The top of the unit could have GPS.

The mini displayport, which would be used to hold the device onto the SP3, would be converted to a full displayport on the other side. If possible, maybe it could be a mini-hub with 2 displayports out.

The USB port, which would also be used to hold the device in place, would expand to 3 or 4 USB ports on the other side.

The power port, which would also be used to hold the device in place (with magnets), would simply pass-through to the other side with same type of power port.

Other features, such as an additional microSD slot and/or drive activity light would be cool, too.

I know I'm dreaming, but it would add only a small amount of length to the overall system and not interfere with the keyboard. It might also negate the need for a docking station for many people, while also retaining its portability.

I think you have to pick your battles here. Extending the magnetic power charger of the Surface Pro 3 is almost impossible as far as patents go to sell, there is a reason we have not seen any 3rd party Surface Pro chargers to this point. At that point you might as well use the magnetic power port for all of your connections, given that it can output video, audio, and USB as well as accept power. However, Microsoft has been very strict with their 3rd party port support and I doubt will ever give that up.

On another note, a docking station is most useful when it lives on your desk with 5+ cables coming out of the back of it so you don't have to move those constantly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like your goal is just to add a USB hub and GPS. You mentioned that the power and displayport just get extended and nothing else (sans the hub idea for the DP, which with current technology is unreasonable by a price and size standpoint). At that point, wouldn't carrying a dedicated tiny USB 3.0 hub with a usb GPS adapter stuck to fulfill your original goal as well as being smaller? Full displayport is arguably less useful than mini because adapters to more common video outputs (HDMI, DVI, VGA) are less common.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

It just sounds like a solid USB extension would fix that, the cable from the power brick to the magnetic surface connector isn't very long. Then again, I usually use 3-6ft figure 8 power cords with the brick to extend it and keep it on top of my desk, not the little 1.5ft that comes with it. That I reserve for travel.

I'll post an XTU test for you, but just to confirm which video drivers are you running? Are you just using stock for the battery life or are you using the newest Intel HD 4400/5000 generic drivers for the huge performance boost? I tend to switch between the two. Also, what was the ambient temperature you ran the test that you screenshotted in? I just want to try and recreate conditions to get the most accurate comparisons of the fans.

I'm looking forward to a new revision with access to the DP. Its vital for me that that port is open, but if you're able to rework your design a bit I would definitely buy one.
A USB extender would most definitely work but since the hub was only $5 with shipping and provides extra ports I thought it would be more useful. But this is also why I made this whole thing modular so that if you have no need for the USB hub then don't get it.

You beat me to posting the details of the test, ha. I just installed the Intel drivers which I forgot had been replaced by the firmware update this month so use those. As for temp, I can run it at work which is around 72F and has good airflow and at home which is more like 78F and the airflow is more stagnant.

Zdez Zaphareon

So just a quick question, is it possible to extend this to a dual fan module o a way to snap 2 and cool the machine even further? It would be awesome.

Justing6

I ran the XTU graphics test with my Arctic fan.

XTU.PNG

As you can see, the TDP and frequencies are similar from what you get in your tests, but the graphics TDP take a bit of a drop after 10 minutes to 8W instead of 9-10W which is sat at for the first bit of the test. Also both throttling monitors go nuts, but the frequencies look similar to your tests so I'm not sure why.

I'm looking forward to a Rev2 that doesn't block the mini displayport. Finish it up already so I can buy one and try it out! xD

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Here is a test run with the new fan that has access to the mini display-port:
09-09 Intel GPU Balanced DPFan.png

Definitely less thermal and power throttling with the SP3 Duct. Also, this test was done at my home with ambient at around 78F.

The only thing stopping me from uploading the SP3 Duct with the mini-display port is that the mini display-port cable I have is too large (or the cutout in the duct is too small) but the cable I have seems oversized. So I am looking into smaller cables but also trying a larger cutout.

Does anyone have a mini display-port cable that they could measure for me?

To answer your question Zdez, you could attach 2 fans but the 2nd would have to be towards the center or left side.

Last edited:

Flow28

Actually you can build this without a 3D printer:
Mine is made with a desktop PC fan and thermoplast.
The fan can be easily snapped onto the surface and sticks to it very good due to the furrow of the surface.
Hence: easily removeable while adherent as hell while all sockets are still usable (dock support tested)

IMG_20140925_224112.jpg

Check out more pics at my google+ account
https://plus.google.com/102383660862021579153/posts/5Nv5EykKLUa

EDIT: I was able to use a big 92mm fan for more air flow with low noise
Total cost ~10 bucks
WIN_20140925_234456.JPG

Last edited:

Justing6

Here is a test run with the new fan that has access to the mini display-port:
GetImage.ashx

Definitely less thermal and power throttling with the SP3 Duct. Also, this test was done at my home with ambient at around 78F.

The only thing stopping me from uploading the SP3 Duct with the mini-display port is that the mini display-port cable I have is too large (or the cutout in the duct is too small) but the cable I have seems oversized. So I am looking into smaller cables but also trying a larger cutout.

Does anyone have a mini display-port cable that they could measure for me?

To answer your question Zdez, you could attach 2 fans but the 2nd would have to be towards the center or left side.

To make it a safe fit for my adapters it would have to accommodate a half inch wide by 3/8 inch tall mini displayport plug.

Justing6

Actually you can build this without a 3D printer:
Mine is made with a desktop PC fan and thermoplast.
The fan can be easily snapped onto the surface and sticks to it very good due to the furrow of the surface.
Hence: easily removeable while adherent as hell while all sockets are still usable (dock support tested)

IMG_20140925_224112.jpg

Check out more pics at my google+ account
https://plus.google.com/102383660862021579153/posts/5Nv5EykKLUa

EDIT: I was able to use a big 92mm fan for more air flow with low noise
Total cost ~10 bucks
WIN_20140925_234456.JPG

I'm down for trying this. Do you think this would be enough thermoplast?

http://www.amazon.com/InstaMorph-Mo...1411682130&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=InstaMorph

Flow28

I'm down for trying this. Do you think this would be enough thermoplast?

http://www.amazon.com/InstaMorph-Mo...1411682130&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=InstaMorph

Enough for a whole army ;)
I just needed 4 grams

Feel free to spread the idea to everyone who don't has access to a 3D printer.
the project was done in 20 minutes

I'm astonished for myself how well the stubs hold onto the furrow of the surface chassis. I can literally shake the surface arround without loosing it due to the 5-point fixation