What's new

Solved SP4 touch screen isnt responsive

Seungmin

I see that some of the SP4 users experience this issue with the touch screen.

Except that mine is completely unresponsive, not just time to time.

It doesn't even respond to the pen input except for its eraser button on top, so i know BT isn't a issue.

Reboot / restore / update doesnt resolve this issue with my SP4.

First couple of days my SP4 worked just fine with no issues regarding the blinking display or wifi as some people report them.

But suddenly on the 4th day after a windows update, my tablet computer became a laptop, well still a fancy one with a detachable keyboard.

At this point, I've tried all of the usual methods, applying the lastest windows updates, wiping and restoring it and so on.

I even manually removed drivers of what seemed to be touch-related devices and re-installed with the drivers ive found from here (Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center).

I did find a guy on youtube experiencing the same exact issue as i
(
)
, which somehow made me feel im not alone in this mess.

But no solution yet.

I would return my SP4 and possibly get a replacement but the local vendor(the official MS store in Korea, there is only one of them) says they are out of stock and i need to wait for about a month.

Is anyone going through the same issue as i am?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, in searching for info on your problem I ran across this.
Surface Pro 3 Touchscreen Problem • /r/Surface
The description in the first post is amazingly inaccurate and yet it solved many peoples problem.
IDK if this will work for you, create a Restore Point before trying it at the minimum or even better make an image backup with Macrium Reflect first. Hail Mary.

OP
S

Seungmin

Had same problem - holding down power and volume up for 15/20 (?) seconds and then booting helped me. Annoying problem!

Hmm, in searching for info on your problem I ran across this.
Surface Pro 3 Touchscreen Problem • /r/Surface
The description in the first post is amazingly inaccurate and yet it solved many peoples problem.
IDK if this will work for you, create a Restore Point before trying it at the minimum or even better make an image backup with Macrium Reflect first. Hail Mary.

Thank you for your tips. In short, the touch display works again after days of failed attempts. But I still am not 100% sure what brought it back.

I tried the hard reset (power+volumn up), the sony screen calibration tool, which didn't resolve the issue. The sony tool actually only returned an error message, saying the software isn't for my device.

But then I tried to install the new intel driver from a post from this forum, which can be found here, New Intel drivers available | Microsoft Surface Forums.

Here's the weird part. On my first attempt to install x64 exe version of the driver, it said there was an error and it failed to install. But I didn't really observe the whole process, so i tried again. Some files were installed, it still gave me a message about the software compatibility issues at the end, I clicked it installed fine. And still at that point, the touch did not work, I think.

About an hour later, I turned my surface back on and suddenly it works. So it most likely could be the intel driver but the whole process until it finally worked again didn't feel that smooth, so it still is a hypothesis for me.

But I definitely suggest installing the intel driver for those who have the touch screen troubles.