What's new

Aftermarket docking station

Carbon337

As per title, I've had a search but can't find any information. Do any 3rd party companies produce a docking station product for a SP4?

Google doesn't seen to produce much either. Unless the term aftermarket is incorrect.

If they exist what limitations do they have?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
USB 3.0 Docking Stations are what's available. Nobody makes anything (as of December 2016) that interfaces via the proprietary Surface Port. At this point I don't expect anyone will ever make anything that uses the Surface port.

USB 3.0 is fine for displays doing office work, gaming is laggy over the DisplayLink (USB display interface). It might be alright in the future over a theoretical TB3 interface but it remains to be seen if the Surface will get one.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. Although I haven't personally experienced lag with my display port dock. Took my sp3 and dock to a gaming event and got through to the counter strike global offensive final, so can't have been that bad (or I'm just fantastic :p)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. Although I haven't personally experienced lag with my display port dock. Took my sp3 and dock to a gaming event and got through to the counter strike global offensive final, so can't have been that bad (or I'm just fantastic :p)
Thank you, I included the obligatory gaming disclaimer because if I didn't well, you know...
You're undoubtedly fantastic.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you, I included the obligatory gaming disclaimer because if I didn't well, you know...
You're undoubtedly fantastic.

I doubt it :p And I should have mentioned, while the video didn't appear to lag, the mouse certainly did! Not so much lag, but the cursor would move for a second, then stop, then move, then stop. I believe this is a known issue with using such a dock and a wireless mouse (also had usb hdd and network connected). I ended up having to aim by strafing left or right..

My opinion is that they're great if you find one at a good price, e.g £50-70 for one with all the bells and whistles, but once they enter the £100+ range, just save the extra and buy the real thing. Mine worked, but I soon tired of still having 3 cables to plug in/unplug, and hanging of the device, so just went and bought the official dock and havn't looked back. Mine is now gathering dust in a box somewhere at my parents.

MaxBuck

I've got a very old Toshiba Dynadock (I've had it at least 8 years). It works fine with my SP4 to access an external 1920x1080 display, printer, DVD-ROM drive and other assorted peripherals.