What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you tired of (and a bit freaked out by) 10 or more instances of Chrome remaining in your memory even after you close the browser? Simple to solve. At bottom of Advanced Settings in Chrome there is option to turn this behavior off so all background processes close along with the browser.

Put me down for hating the new start menu; I wish you could resize it to make it wide (also wish you could adjust transparency of its background so it'd be more like an overlay) but I got to admit @mitchellvii is right, scrolling with the mouse wheel in desktop mode makes sense.

I've been putting build 9926 through it's paces today. Once I installed the video driver @mitchellvii recommended
When I run the stock drivers I get jet fan, heat and screen lag. When I flash the Intel Drivers (i5 - 4400 model) (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k9558ni8n6e3rm9/AAAlB21xT-D7Ujir_ehAyGL_a?dl=0) quiet and no screen lag. Also with Intel Drivers you get access to HD Control Panel. You can flash these directly over the current drivers.

ONLY THESE 8/5/14 DRIVERS work with this W10 build. Latest will not install.
it only got hot and had the fan come on when I played videos, and I've been working on work with PowerPoint and Abode Reader and Word running on one desktop at times with Remote Desktop remoting into work to access apps, Photoshop and Axialis IconWorkshop and numerous IE windows and folder windows on another desktop and games and News, Weather, Control Panel on a 3rd desktop, as well . Everything running smooth, fast and cool.

One thing does seem odd to me. When I shut everything down except the desktop it still shows about 300 mb of background processes running yet says 52% of memory is used. What's the deal with that? Math doesn't work.

Great. Be sure to test the "Video" app on a video file you have stored locally. Online videos worked okay for me, but this one just quit abruptly. That revealed the problem for me.

I must be one of the fortunate ones, as I've had no video problems whatsoever with the default drivers. Video playback for local avi, mkv etc all work fine. Youtube works fine in both IE and Chrome. The only hiccup I had was that there was a legacy ActiveX control that I had from my CCTV system that made IE crash on launch. Disabling this ActiveX sorted IE.

My installation was an upgrade over 9879, but my 9879 was a clean install. Also on 9879 I was running the August video drivers, but this has of course been upgraded when going to 9926.

Finally managed to get the new build to run decently on my surface pro 3 after trying initially to upgrade from 9879, then a refresh and lastly 2 clean installs.

What I notice now which I did not have under the previous builds of windows 10 is that after 3 hours in sleep mode the system is powering down just as it did under windows 8.1. With the previous builds this was not happening.

Also I can not sign in with a PIN even though this is set-up. I always needs to enter my password.
Does anybody have a solution for this?

Well "getting it right" is a matter of personal taste. I like scrolling tiles up and down, I mean, why wouldn't you? The All Apps section is also easy to access because it's in alphabetical order. To me this build is far better than previous.
Fair enough that some people like it.. And maybe in desktop mode that feature is easier to scroll with a mouse wheel but in tablet mode, when you've got tons of apps and a big screen a little side scroll menu takes too long. And the type cover trackpad doesn't scroll smoothly or quickly enough for me.

Honestly, I could live with the menu if searching for apps in tablet mode was easier. In desktop mode it's a piece of cake. In tablet mode I preferred having a quick way to do it with a side swipe since my hands were typically at the sides of the device. I just want options. I didn't care for the start menu before, they gave me a decent alternative and now they've changed both to something that is frustrating for me. I provided feedback for the search so I'm hoping someone listens.

its just me, or everyone facing this bug with continuum? It appers even when im closing the lid, not giving device to go to sleep

Finally managed to get the new build to run decently on my surface pro 3 after trying initially to upgrade from 9879, then a refresh and lastly 2 clean installs.

What I notice now which I did not have under the previous builds of windows 10 is that after 3 hours in sleep mode the system is powering down just as it did under windows 8.1. With the previous builds this was not happening.

Also I can not sign in with a PIN even though this is set-up. I always needs to enter my password.
Does anybody have a solution for this?

My Surface didn't go into suspend mode last night. It was in connected standby for 8 hours. Not sure why that is. But glad it's happening for you.

Anyone see a 'Activate Windows' text overlay in the lower right corner? It's view-able if you have a browser on max size. But the next question also is, are you able to activate? I tried but no joy.

upload_2015-1-25_4-13-30.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back