What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
When closing the type cover I get a chime and Windows asks if I want to enable tablet mode. I know this because I peaked quickly before it faded away to sleep. Feature of some sort or just blatant bug? Seems odd.

Confirmed here as well. Is it really asleep? I mean, the keyboard doesn't wake up the screen. Perhaps monitoring the gyro is so low power that it happens even in sleep mode? If so it would be cool to have gestures to wake it up...maybe

I just hate that MS can't seem to get the start menu right in either tablet or desktop mode...I don't like the changes that they've made in this latest update. I don't want to scroll up and down on my tiles in desktop mode. I also don't like the ALL APPS section. It's terrible. I prefer the start menu from the previous build.

Confirmed here as well. Is it really asleep? I mean, the keyboard doesn't wake up the screen. Perhaps monitoring the gyro is so low power that it happens even in sleep mode? If so it would be cool to have gestures to wake it up...maybe

Was wondering what the sound was!!

I mean try and reinstall the ISO over top of my existing install as my system keeps spontaneously blue screening and rebooting

Replace the video drivers as stated in prior post. Of course, you need to find the 8/5/2014 Intel drivers for the i7, these are for the i5 4400.

I see that sharpcolorado posted i7 drivers from earlier in the year but I wasn't able to find a post with August drivers for the i7.

Also, I don't let it stay in sleep mode (i shut it down) so I am going to have to constantly keep reinstalling this driver, eh? Is that right? Hopefully Microsoft or Intel fixes this quickly. What a bummer. Even Netflix isn't working.

Unrelated... I found some interesting settings in the advanced power settings. Something called importance. I'm not sure if this was there before but it looks like you can tell it whether or not to wake out of sleep mode (or rather to alarm) depending on how much battery power there is....I think. Hover over to get tool tips.

I see that sharpcolorado posted i7 drivers from earlier in the year but I wasn't able to find a post with August drivers for the i7.

Also, I don't let it stay in sleep mode (i shut it down) so I am going to have to constantly keep reinstalling this driver, eh? Is that right? Hopefully Microsoft or Intel fixes this quickly. What a bummer. Even Netflix isn't working.
Just use the ones sharp posted.

I just hate that MS can't seem to get the start menu right in either tablet or desktop mode...I don't like the changes that they've made in this latest update. I don't want to scroll up and down on my tiles in desktop mode. I also don't like the ALL APPS section. It's terrible. I prefer the start menu from the previous build.

Well "getting it right" is a matter of personal taste. I like scrolling tiles up and down, I mean, why wouldn't you? The All Apps section is also easy to access because it's in alphabetical order. To me this build is far better than previous.

To me, the scrolling of tiles up and down makes sense on both computers and mobile devices of various sizes.

Even at this early stage, I congratulate Microsoft for creating a user interface which is more intuitive than either Windows 7 (Start Menu) or Windows 8.1 (Start Screen), or Windows 10 Build 9879 (a bit of both).

Microsoft is onto something big here. I'm glad to benefit from it. Xbox, Kinect, the Surface Pro 3, and soon, Windows 10 across multiple devices, will add value to their company. And I predict the general corporate world will embrace Windows 10, too.

I like being able to have a clean Desktop or Tablet. The Recycle bin stands alone.
I'm back in business, after a day of disruption.

Screenshot (39).png

Screenshot (40).png

Okay, thanks to everyone recommending the earlier Intel HD drivers. Installed the August version and now I have video working again. Also resolved the issue connecting to my NAS--needed to set it to SMB1 only in the network settings. Did that, now can connect just fine.

Maybe this is a silly question (and I apologize if it is) but how do you install those drivers when your tablet constantly reboots? I had the fortune of hack by a docking station (and the tip to use it) but if you don't have one than can you just boot into safe mode to install new drivers? - maybe this answer will help someone else?
Yeah, I was having the same struggle. What work for me, was to get in there using safe mode, going to device manager, going to display adaptors, and uninstalling whatever is there, checking to delete drivers. Then restart and all worked well for me. I could take my time deciding what drivers I wanted to install in their place (I opted for some older SP3 ones). Not sure what driver it defaulted to in the meantime, but whatever it was using after I deleted the one it was using seemed to work really well, I may not have needed to install another driver.

It doesn't matter if scrolling up and down makes sense to someone or not...the fact is that millions (I don't know...maybe billions by now seeing how touchscreen smartphone far far far outpace PCs) of folks are quite used to side scrolling to get to apps. I don't see any great advance in this emperor's new clothes interface myself, but I'm not gonna dog anyone that does. I've said this before, but if this advancement is so great for pure tablet use, please explain to me why I need to "see" the taskbar when I've got a metro app open and I'm in "tablet mode"? Does it provide me some great productivity boost to be able to press the redundant "start" button? Maybe it assists in developing finger dexterity as I try to bring up the hidden taskbar items lurking behind the up arrow? I know...it helps me to quickly switch between the apps that I already have a nice swipe left gesture for? Anyway...I'm sure you get my drift. Look...is Win10 some sort of great shakes for keyboard and mouse guy/gal? I think it certainly is. But don't blow smoke up my exit chute telling me it's some kinda major advancement from a pure touch/tablet perspective. Slightly incremental in some ways...slightly regressive in others...that's what it is.

And about the corporate world embracing Win10...well of course they'll jump on it. Like the majority of them have a real choice other than to do just that. They've almost all made their normal cycle skip, so many are against the wall to upgrade whether they would like to or not. Plus, it's no secret that the majority of changes here were developed with their wishes in mind. Long term, I don't know if it even matters. Anyone with half a brain cell can see the writing on the wall for general computing in the future. Even with the "bounce-back" expected for PCs this year, they will still continue to lose ground to other pure tablets and smartphones in all likelihood. We're in a generational shift and with retirement/old age/death coming to those hanging on soon enough...change will be in the wind quickly with the next generation of decision makers who could most likely care less since they've had an entirely different life experience of growing with technology than those that will be on their way out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back