What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compusmurf

There's a "mark as read" option in the three dots at the upper-right, don't know if that only applies to the current post or all posts. Actually, this version's a little funky now that I'm using it a bit more, but at least it works.

Edit: Just looked at the options accessed via the dots, and they seem to be topic-wide.

UGH, those only show up in FORUM view. try viewing all unread and they go away. What a crock. Works fine on Mobile....

Ughhh can't activate my old laptop with its purchased keys

Are you trying to activate a Windows 10 purchased key or activate Windows 10 with a Win 7 or 8 key? The latter will not work. You must upgrade Win 7 or 8 to Windows 10 which will automatically generate a Win 10 key for you. Once it is upgraded, you can do a clean install and the key will remain active.

GTiceman

Are you trying to activate a Windows 10 purchased key or activate Windows 10 with a Win 7 or 8 key? The latter will not work. You must upgrade Win 7 or 8 to Windows 10 which will automatically generate a Win 10 key for you. Once it is upgraded, you can do a clean install and the key will remain active.

Well I had wiped Win 8 a while back and been running TP, but a system error caused me to need a fresh install. It wouldn't take my keys in the set-up using the Media Creation tool which allows for a full wipe and install. It won't even activate if I switch to the Insider Program though it shows the insider key that my Surface is using as well.

SWYost

For those already running Windows 10 Build 10240, you might want to take a look a the available space on your C drive. My SP3 was running 10240, fully activated, and with preview builds now turned off. Since around midnight, however, 10 GB of storage has disappeared with 5.8 GB going to $Windows.~WS at 5:00 AM this morning. Actually, 15 GB has been appropriated in the past week. While performance is otherwise normal, internet connections seem slower and direct access to the C drive via File Explorer lags. It would be nice if I have the final (which Microsoft claims) if they would stop shoving the same stuff onto my machine. I can't say I am surprised though given the mess Windows Update has been on the SP3 since 10240 was released a couple weeks ago.....

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those already running Windows 10 Build 10240, you might want to take a look a the available space on your C drive. My SP3 was already running 10240, fully activated, and with preview builds now turned off. Since around midnight, however, 10 GB of storage has disappeared with 5.8 GB going to $Windows.~WS at 5:00 AM this morning. Actually, 15 GB has been appropriated in the past week. While performance is otherwise normal, internet connections seem slower and direct access to the C drive via File Explorer lags. It would be nice if I have the final (which Microsoft claims) if they would stop shoving the same stuff onto my machine. I can't say I am surprised though given the mess Windows Update has been on the SP3 since 10240 was released a couple weeks ago.....
My C drive is exactly as it ought to be given the files I have and the windows.old folder I have opted to keep. And I know there were some people with issues, but I think it silly to brand the whole sp3 and update of late as a mess. On my sp3 and S3 since 10240, update has been flawless other than the single firmware issue, which didn't bother me in the slightest,

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those already running Windows 10 Build 10240, you might want to take a look a the available space on your C drive. My SP3 was running 10240, fully activated, and with preview builds now turned off. Since around midnight, however, 10 GB of storage has disappeared with 5.8 GB going to $Windows.~WS at 5:00 AM this morning. Actually, 15 GB has been appropriated in the past week. While performance is otherwise normal, internet connections seem slower and direct access to the C drive via File Explorer lags. It would be nice if I have the final (which Microsoft claims) if they would stop shoving the same stuff onto my machine. I can't say I am surprised though given the mess Windows Update has been on the SP3 since 10240 was released a couple weeks ago.....
Well insiders will continue to get new builds as before ... consider switching to the slow ring.. IIRC not all features are complete but we are in the continuous update era and I don't know if there is a slowdown on the horizon.

SWYost

My C drive is exactly as it ought to be given the files I have and the windows.old folder I have opted to keep. And I know there were some people with issues, but I think it silly to brand the whole sp3 and update of late as a mess. On my sp3 and S3 since 10240, update has been flawless other than the single firmware issue, which didn't bother me in the slightest,

In the past two weeks, the firmware update failed, multiple security updates failed, one Windows Defender update failed, and one of the updates killed my ability to access the internet until I deleted all existing connections and started over from scratch. I have also had to reactivate once and, in the first couple days of 10240, was asked to reenter credentials on numerous occasions. This does not even touch the perpetual attempts to run the May firmware update or the fact some people have had troubles with pens, runaway processes, and difficulties reconnecting after sleep/hibernation up to (and including the most recent builds). None of these are unusual and I am glad you have had no issues. I stand by the comment Windows Update has been a mess and, more to the point is one over which we now have little control.

SWYost

Well insiders will continue to get new builds as before ... consider switching to the slow ring.. IIRC not all features are complete but we are in the continuous update era and I don't know if there is a slowdown on the horizon.

Build 10240 is not a preview build. It is the release, which Microsoft has confirmed again today. As per my original comment, I have also turned off builds altogether since it is, again, not a preview build and preview builds need not remain on when running a properly activated copy of Windows 10. With respect to continuous updates, that is the model they have chosen, but expect those continuous updated to work. I also expect they will test them on their own hardware, including the production line variants over the life of the product. As to the original point, I do not appreciate the fact Microsoft has taken my storage from 142 GB to 130 GB in the past few days, with most of that overnight, if the OS is already installed.

lhauser

So, I hope it's not too early to start talking about this, but I'll bring it up for discussion anyway...

Since Windows 10 is now official, should we start thinking about starting a new thread? We're not previewing anymore, and this thing has gotten really long. Perhaps a new thread for those of us who intend to remain in the Insiders program, so we can keep each other up on our fast ring experiences, would be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.